Removing Wafer Ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
feline65

Can you use hand sanitizer to recover your wafer?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Longroad78

Never tried to use hand sanitizer, but some of the removal adhesive packs that some of the insurance companies cover work okay. But if that is not covered by insurance, Goo Gone makes a medical version (blue color liquid) that is sold on Amazon, which is good if you're on a budget. The most pain-free way is removing it during a warm shower, as it will come off pain-free and allows you to clean the skin around your stoma area to get a lot of the adhesive off. A little trick is to dry off and put a little toilet paper around the end of the stoma if it has a mind of its own (Note: avoid moisturizing soaps if doing this because it may cause issues for your new wafer). I will still use an adhesive remover after the shower and wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel afterwards before any skin prep. Hand sanitizer normally has alcohol and aloe, which can irritate the skin and leave a film that may cause an issue with the new wafer sticking. Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Feline, that is kind of iffy because of the alcohol content but if you try, I would be careful around the stoma!

I use a hairdryer to dry my skin before applying the flange and that works really well! Heat up the barrier too! Makes it stick better! Never a problem!

Puppyluv

lovely

I use adhesive remover wipes and skin-prep protective wipes. The remover wipes remove any adhesive left on the skin when you remove the wafer. Wipe it off real good and apply the skin prep protective. If you don't want to use this, I would suggest using baby oil to remove the wafer.