Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Hollister 18104 Bags Now Fully Tranparent....did you notice?

Posted by w30bob, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 am

Hey Gang,

Just got my 3-month resupply of ostomy products and was a little "upset", for lack of a better word, to see Hollister went and changed the outer side of their 18104 bag.  It used to be 90% transparent and made of a bit thicker plastic material.  Now it's 100% transparent and made of much thinner plastic. I'm guessing they did durability testing on the new plastic, but it sure looks flimsy to me.  I'm pretty sure that one swipe of my pooch's paw will result in me being a hot mess.  And although the previous version was mostly transparent, passers-by would have to do a double take to figure out what was in the bag.......now it's instantly obvious, not that I care.  But I always hate it when companies change things (supposedly for the better, but usually to save a penny or two) without giving it's customers a heads-up.  I realize that's not possible to do with most retail sales, but for medical supplies being sent to repeat customers.....that's a different story.  So the point to this whole tirade?  If anyone has been using these new flimsier appearing bags..........can you give me some feedback, good or bad?

thanks,

bob 

Reply by Tickpol , on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am

Bob,

I just got my monthly shipment of 18182's but I didn't open the box to see if there were any changes.  The 18182 has the soft built-in cover and there's only a small window (unintended pun) down at the drain so I don't think there's much of an impact for me.

I'm with you.  It would be nice if there was some sort of notification that a tried and true product is going to get a change if only as a courtesy.  I identify with my appliances so changing them is like changing me!

Dave

Reply by lovely, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 pm

I use the 18103 pouch and they changed it also. It seems to be a little harder to empty, I think it breaks down sooner. 

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi lovely.

Hmmm..........makes me wonder if they're trying to make sure folks use a new bag every day.  I'll call them when I get a minute and discuss their new choice of clear plastic with them and ask for the skinny on why they changed.  I got lucky and found someone online with a stash of the older style pouches and I bought all she had.  Won't help in the long run, but gives me some breathing room to figure out if the new bag material is better or worse. 

regards,

bob

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi lovely.

Hmmm..........makes me wonder if they're trying to make sure folks use a new bag every day.  I'll call them when I get a minute and discuss their new choice of clear plastic with them and ask for the skinny on why they changed.  I got lucky and found someone online with a stash of the older style pouches and I bought all she had.  Won't help in the long run, but gives me some breathing room to figure out if the new bag material is better or worse. 

regards,

bob

Reply by lovely, on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 am
w30bob wrote:

Hi lovely.

regards,

bob

I wondered the same thing let us know what you find out.

Reply by lovely, on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi Bob just want to let you know I called Hollister about the change in the pouches. I am getting ready to order my monthly supply so I needed to know about them. They said it was better for the envirement. They still have the beige looking ones that are thicker but they gave it a new number the cost is the same. So I ordered the thicker ones. You may find the new ones work for you but I just like the thicker ones.

Reply by OzTomate, on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 pm

G'day Bob from Australia,

I don't know if there is any relevance but a recall notice was issued here on Aug 11th re other Hollister bags.  The issue is possible bag weakness.

Here is the detail...

Liberty Medical Pty Ltd — Hollister Urostomy Bag

PRA No. 2019/17748

Date published 11 Aug 2019
Product description  Hollister Urostomy bag

ModermaFlex Convex Flextend Tape Bordered Urostomy V2 Tnsp 25mm PS
Product Number: 2979125
Lot Number: 9C282

ModermaFlex Soft Convex CeraPlus Tape Bordered Urostomy V2 VO 30mm PS
Product Number: 59830
Lot Number: 9F253

ModermaFlex Soft Convex CeraPlus Tape Bordered Urostomy V2 UClr 15-38mm CTF
Product Number: 59901
Lot Number: 9F073

ARTG: 296216
(Liberty Medical Pty Ltd - Bag, urostomy, one-piece)

What are the defects?
There is a possible weakening of the Urostomy bag pouch film.

What are the hazards?
Weakening in the pouch film could lead to film seal separation or film bursting during use, resulting in injury to the user.

Reply by bryancohnracing, on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am

I use the same Holister 18104 bag and notcied the change as well. 

I am very active, work outdoors in all weather, race cars for a hobby and work on the race car for fun. So far, after about 3 weeks of use I've seen no performance difference. 

I agree it feels a bit more flimsy but I'm finding no difference in how it empties. Where I do find a difference, and this one does piss me off is how it makes noise when I move. The plastic makes clinkling noises which makes it damn near impossible to hide. not that I hide it from my friends, etc but the noise can be a distraction. 

Hope this helps you not worry too much about the change.  

Reply by w30bob, on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 am

Hi bryan,

Yeah.........I did notice the crinkling noise, but didn't think far enough ahead to realize it would do that all day as I'm moving around. That WOULD irritate the hell out of me.  I've had some of the non-opaque skin colored bags around here forever, but never used them.  After my operation I wanted to see exactly what was coming out all the time, so I always used the semi-clear bag.  Now that I'm pondering getting back into the dating scene I figure I need to start getting used to the skin colored bags, so I've been wearing them more frequently.  Still not a big fan of not seeing exactly what's coming out, but I've found with the skin colored bag I'm not as self conscious if it is seen.....like when I stretch to reach something high on the shelf and my shirt doesn't fully cover it.  With the semi-clear bag I always was concerned.......with the skin colored bag I don't even think about it.  So it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.........as usual.  Thanks for mentioning the noise.........that's important.

regards,

bob

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.