Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 53-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 51-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 55-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,078 OstoMates

Hello Ostomates In Manchester (uk) Area.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:34 pm
Hi everyone, anyone out there who lives in the Manchester area?  I live in Rochdale so pretty close to Manchester.  For those of you who like me thought there was no-one else out there in our area (especially in my particular age group) FYI I decided to attend Manchester Ileostomy Association AGM back in May this year and met a new friend similar in age to myself (40+) who told me about a stoma support group in Oldham open to all ostomists - ile, colo and uro - which meets the first Tuesday of every other month.  Next meeting on Tue 5th Oct 2010 @ 7-9pm @ The Link Centre, Union Street, Oldham, OL1 1DZ.  Then Tue 7th Dec - Xmas Party.  Cheese & wine provided - pay £1.  More of a mix of ages at the meeting than I have found at other groups' meeting.  

The following info was published in an article in the Oldham Chronicle newspaper earlier this year and is out in the public domain so I presume it is perfectly OK for me to quote bits from the article.  'The support group was set up by Oldham Senior Stoma Nurse Helen Wrench & her colleague Stoma Nurse Gill Wood.  The Chairman is June Wilde.  Approx 80 members.  The group is run in partnership between patients and health practitioners.  Meetings informative & give people the chance to talk to each other about problems and find out how others cope with similar situations.  There is always an applicance supplier present and usually a speaker such as a dietician or phyiotherapist.  Members come from as far as Manchester, Bury, Radcliffe, Denton.  We try to put new people at ease and build up their confidence in having a stoma.  Also have informal chats between new patients and old alike and if anyone has a problem we will ensure that they are able to talk to someone who has been in a similar poition.  The group also organises social trips to a variety of places'.  There were contact numbers published for June and Helen but tele no's not allowed on this site so if you Google (other search engines are available) Oldham Chronicle and under news section type in 'Stoma Support Group' in the search bar you will bring the article up.  Title = 'June is living life to the full'.  Published 19th Nov 09.  

I attended the meeting on Tue 3rd Aug and really enjoyed it.  Made to feel very welcome, June is very friendly and approachable.  Had a chat with some lovely ladies.  Mix of men and women at the meeting.  Have met up and been out for lunch with my new stoma pal I met at Manchester IA AGM a couple of times.  So for all of you out there thinking you are the only one - you're not.  Come along to the support group!   I've had my stoma 13 years now and at the start I attended a couple of meetings at my local hospital but I was the youngest one there (26 at the time) and everyone else was in their 60s and older.  I didn't feel I had much in common with anyone else so I didn't attend any more meetings and concentrated on getting back to work.  If I had known about this support group which has been going for 10 years now I would have gone along.  I am glad I went to Manchster IA AGM and met my new pal who introduced me to the Oldham Stoma Support Group.  

Hope this info has been helpful.

Take care everyone.

P.S. I am new to all this Forum stuff.  What is a 'wink' and what is the protocol to follow if someone 'sends you a wink'??
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:04 pm
Hi, that sounds really good .... my local Ia is nice enough they have a 3 monthly meet with a speaker and suppliers in attendance and a fundraiser in between, but that really is not what I am looking for. I need a group that will meet for a coffee and a chat every couple of weeks or even once a month, for support and friendship, but it just doesn't seem to be available ... Think when I have got my surgery over and done with, I will start one of my own for people with stomas or maybe chronic pain or illness .... I get lonely during the daytime when my partner is working and I am sure that there are others in the same position ... anyone here near the Swindon UK area???
Rach xxx
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 am
if you meet up in Polly's Tea Room I'll pop down every now and then!
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:52 pm
Oooh I could be in Polly's anytime you like! Assuming I am not in a London hospital of course, which is what I seem to do most of! Great place for a diabetic ... ummm? Would still go though! xx
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.