Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join For Free

Urostomy takedown

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
The Largest Online Ostomy Community
with 16,286 Members
Watch MeetAnOstoMate Video
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 am
Looking for anyone who has had a urostomy take down.  Just want info on what to expect.  The reason for my take down to continent urostomy is simpley to get rid of the bag.  I have had no other issues for the past 27 years.

thanks for any information,
uroman
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Do you mean a reversal?
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 am
Yes, well going from incontinent to continent urostomy.
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:02 pm
Hi Uroman
I do not understand what you maen. I have a urostomy and I thought all urostomies were permanent. So if you have the bag taken away what do you get in its place ?
Maureen
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 am
Maureen,

They'll take a piece of colon and make an artifical bladder out of the colon.  The ureters attach to the new bladder.  There will be a small stoma that will be cathaterized every 4-7 hrs to empty the bladder.  Usually the stoma can not be seen because it is in the belly button.  So with all that said there will be no need to wear an external  pieces to collect the urine.
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm
Wow Uroman. That sounds amazing. When is your operation. ? Hope it goes well.
Maureen
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:56 am
It is scheduled for the 21st of september.  I'm excited but nervous.  I have been so use to what I have for well over half my life.  Thanks for the wishes.

FYI - if you have any interest in making the switch talk to a pediatric urologist.  They have more experience compaired to the adult urologist.
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm
Wow, I also have a urostomy and never knew that was an option.
Good luck with your surgery.
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:59 am
catesmom,

Boston Childrens Hospital.  Dr. Nguyen is a pediatric urologist who does this surgery.  In case your interested.

Uroman
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm
wishing you every success with your op. wish it was an option for us all but for a lot of us its permanent, but i suppose we learn to live with it..eventually!
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 pm
I never knew anyone that had this but I know of people so congrats! It is similar to my contient ileostomy but for the bladder. I debated having one since I have bad Interstitial Cystitis but I am not sure I could manage draining 2 pouches even though I know of a model that has a Kpouch and a Bladder pouch aka The Indiana Pouch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_pouch
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:40 am

Fascinating topic uroman.  Had heard of this but assumed the bladder emptying was difficult.  I guess by now you've had the op, so would like to hear how its all working.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.