Ostomy supplies

Replies
Views
trudel
Hi, in England all prescriptions for ostomy supplies are free I am told by my stoma nurse. I have not had my colostomy yet, due to go into hospital on 22nd November and op to take place on 23rd.
I have also been told that after my op all prescriptions will be free even for non ostomy stuff. Don't know how it all works yet but expect I'll have plenty of time after the op.
Of course we say prescriptions are free, but they are not really unless you are benefits, because of cause we all have to pay National Insurance if working or earning money. So this is why prescriptions are free at point of supply.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Yes they are free. You need to get a prescription exemption certificate. If you go to your pharmacy you can get a form, then take it to your G.P to sign and post it. Your entitled to it whether your working or not.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Hi Trudel, best wishes for Sunday/Monday, wonder if it's The Qeen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham you are going to. Make sure you have a couple of waterproof mattress covers, mine are the quilted type, needn't be that horrible plastic, and some old towels to lie on when you get home, can save an awful lot of agro in the early stages whilst you get used to it.' Hope you have plenty of support once back in your own surroundings, look forward to reading about your progress on here. p.s. love the donkey!