I've got more tape on me than a hockey stick!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
beatrice
Aloha all from Maui!

Hubby and I have been snorkeling and in the pool alot, so I thought I'd let you know how all the seals, tapes etc are working.

Short answer - not as well as I'd hoped. I've read how some of you have had absolutely no problem and I was hoping for that.

For reference, I (ileo Dec 09) use Convatec 2-piece. For the water, I added the Sure-ring seals and then around that a special tape (don't have the packing with me for the name).

Holds for 2 days and then the adhesive of the flange has melted enough to seep/push it's way to the edges. One night I was too tired to change when I should have (plus I did a 15 min hot tub dip ) and I had a leak during the night.

Some of the spots we snorkel don't have washroom facilities, so I have my wipes, etc and a wide mouth small Gatorade bottle for emptying. Bit finicky but does work.

I also rented the top portion of a wet suit. I found that it acts works better than my hernia support belt (small hernia developing) while still allowing the stoma to drain.

Ok, time to grab my Gaterade bottle, hubby and head out to the water!

All the best,
Beatrice
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beyondpar
While it sounds like you are having minor issues, it sure does sound like your having fun and not letting it stop you from living and thats the the point, Enjoy

btw whenever i have swam in salt water i would get a full day of swimming , no issues but then would start the next day with a new wafer..........never two days in salt water, and you also said you did a hot tub...............i think you have been blessed with a good seal to survive all of that without a blow out............Love Michael and wish I was snorkeling too........
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Grammybec
Sounds like you are having fun...enjoy and keep us updated on all the water actities! Bec
lottagelady
Great news Beatrice - lovely to hear you are having a good time snorkelling again - need piccies for when you come back home!

Rach xxxx
yaya
Hi Beatrice..Wouldn't I love to be in Maui right now as the snow is falling..It is pretty though..but not as pretty as Maui. I am very grateful that you wrote about your experience swimming etc. This summer I am going back to swimming with the grandbabies.. I am the seahorse and they get on my back and in a perfect world I would swim to the other side but in Yaya's world...I usually just sink..ha. I can hardly wait until summer. Have a ball..watch out for blood clots on your flight home..get up and move around on the plane...safe journey!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Immarsh
Hi,

Glad you hear that you're getting to enjoy the water, especially in Hawaii. When you get home, look for Scanpoor tape. It's pricey, but it's like a second skin, and it stay on, even in the water. When it dries it feels like it was never wet. I never thought of bringing a "bottle" , but have often emptied in the woods when on hikes. Now I don't have to avoid places without rest rooms. Hot tubs are tricky, so when away....good idea to just plan on changing more often.All of us are happy for you, and "wish we were there too".
Enjoy!!!! Best Regards....Marsha
Past Member
going swimming is my next hurdle, so it is good to hear another success story.

and you're having a good time