Hiking with an Ostomy Bag in Cold Weather

Replies
Views
Ice
Oct 24, 2022 11:34 pm

Evening all, I'm from upstate New York and winter is coming!! Just got an ostomy bag a week ago and was wondering if anyone has hiked in cold weather with their bag. I mean cold, like 30 degrees below zero! Worried it may freeze?

Smilealot
Oct 25, 2022 12:19 am

Nope, it has never frozen, even though I was so cold and could hardly set up camp.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,853 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ice
Oct 25, 2022 12:42 am

Awesome! Sounds like you went for multiple days, but I would only be out for 7-9 hours for a day trip.

Bees
Oct 25, 2022 12:53 am

An ostomy bag shouldn't freeze as it's held close to the body. If it does freeze, you've got bigger problems.

xnine
Oct 25, 2022 2:05 am

Other body parts will freeze first

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bees
Oct 25, 2022 2:18 am

To prevent other body parts from freezing, take a partner. I'll let you figure it out.

AlexT
Oct 25, 2022 5:21 am

Bag won't freeze. I was out duck hunting last winter with wind chills well below zero. The only issue I had was my chest waders froze so I couldn't lower them to empty my bag. Glad nobody was around to watch my dumbass fight that. ???????????

HenryM
Oct 25, 2022 8:44 am
Never had a problem hiking at high altitudes in Utah winters.
ron in mich
Oct 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Hi all, here in N. Mich., we get a lot of snow, so out come the snowshoes. When you're walking with them on, you get quite sweaty, so no chance of the bag freezing up.

Ice
Oct 25, 2022 2:52 pm

Thanks, you are correct. I snowshoe also and it uses a lot of energy. I've stripped down to a t-shirt because I was sweating so much even though the temps were well below freezing.

rusty1058
Nov 18, 2022 8:05 am

I would ask the same about getting in a hot tub, does the adhesive melt???

xnine
Nov 18, 2022 11:23 am

No, lots of people on here do it. If it is tight on land, it will be tight in the hot tub. Just follow the rules.

HenryM
Nov 18, 2022 3:13 pm
There are rules in a hot tub??
xnine
Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm

Isn't it only 10 minutes at a time. No diving. No food.

cartercharlotte983
Jan 29, 2023 11:57 pm

Hello, my name is Charlotte and I have an ostomy bag. That's a lot of stuff to get used to, but I thank God that I'm still alive. I just can't wrap my little head around what happened to me. I'm only 55, but I thank God that I'm still living and I enjoy reading some of your guys' comments. I also just joined on here, but I just don't have the money to pay for that to become a member. So even though I'm not a member, I'm here and I would like to talk to someone. If you're out there, talk to me. Love everyone, even though I don't know you, but I still love you.

cartercharlotte983
Jan 29, 2023 11:58 pm

Does anybody know a good soap or body wash to use? Because I'm about tired of Dial soap. Is there a body wash I can use? Can somebody let me know something? Thank you.

xnine
Jan 30, 2023 12:20 am

Cartercharlotte983 start a new topic to get results. I just use my shampoo.

rosebud621
Feb 06, 2023 12:41 am

The bag will be fine but you'll be frozen