Title: Concerns about Bowel Movements Post Ileostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
pazereckas36

Hi, Stephen here from New York, new to this forum. I had ileostomy reversal surgery done a little over 3 months ago. I have no colon anymore. I have all of my rectum still left as well. The surgeon hooked up my small bowel to my rectum, I think. I have no J-Pouch or anything like that. The problem that started the past month is some days I do not go at all, all day not going at all. And then some days I go about 1 to 6 times a day. Is this serious that I am not going at all some days? I can go 2 sometimes with any output. I have no pain, nausea, or vomiting at all. I called my surgeon and he said he is not worried at all. I thought people without a colon who don't have a bowel movement in 6 hours or more need to go right to the hospital. At least this is how it was when I had my ileostomy. I guess my bowels have settled down since the surgery. But should I be concerned and go to the ER if I do not go for 2 or more days without any bowel movement? Please respond with all and any help.

Axl

Hello P

If your doctors are happy and you have no issues whatsoever other than a lack of output frequency, I'd say you are in a pretty good place.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,622 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

I can't understand you not having a J-Pouch, can you explain in more detail. I had my colon removed and had a J-Pouch fitted but had a stoma for 4 months until the J-Pouch healed then reversed. But I had the J-Pouch removed 2 years ago and now have a permanent ileostomy.

Morning glory

Better to listen to your surgeon on this.

Mysterious Mose

I agree with Axl and Morning Glory. Best to listen to your surgeon.

My reversal surgery is in 2 weeks. I hope it goes as well for me as it appears to have gone for you! :-)

Daniel

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon

Hi, it sounds like your new connection is what I have…ileorectal anastomosis. How are you eating and drinking? What type of foods are you eating? My output hasn't been like a lot of the typical reversal stories. My colorectal surgeon and general GI doctor were always aware, now I'm mostly under the general GI doctor's umbrella- he told me with the slower output to take the win so he's not concerned. I had an ileus immediately after my reversal surgery so I was still in the hospital when things went south for me- trust me you'd be feeling it and throwing up if you had an ileus- your body would have no option but to throw up. If it makes you feel better you can always go to the ER, but if you're feeling ok, and your surgeon isn't alarmed… I would stick with what your surgeon is saying.