Soft and Effective: Viva Paper Towels for Ostomates

Replies
Views
NancyCat

Everyone always talks about using wet paper towels, but, it has to be the "right" paper towel. My fellow ostomate, Pat, told me right in the beginning that the best paper towel to use with our ostomies is Viva! They are super soft, so much better than the usual "rough" paper towels! 

BTW--I celebrated my 6-year stoma-versary on 9/29! So yay me!

Justbreathe

Thanks for the comment/suggestion on paper towels. I always welcome shared information on this website and -

Yes!!! Yay on you for being a 6-year warrior! Jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Beachboy

Congrats on 6 years. Every day after surgery is a holiday.

Justbreathe
Reply to SallyK

Gives a new and more attractive meaning to caking!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

🤦‍♀️

AlexT

People use paper towels on their stoma areas? 😬 Never heard of that.

Maried

Do you use paper towels to dry the area around your stoma? Or to dry your bag after a shower?

IGGIE

I use tissues with no Aloe Vera added for cleaning the opening of my bag when emptying it, and I use chuck cloths that come in a roll for cleaning around my stoma with warm water. I cut the chucks into 2-inch squares. Then dry it all off with the little eyelash dryer. Regards, IGGIE

7dragonflies.hm

Happy stomaversary! After I rinse my bag, I use tightly rolled up toilet tissue to try to get the remaining water out. After a shower, I use my towel to firmly blot around the bag to help it dry. Of course, it doesn't dry it all the way, so it's left a little damp, but it dries eventually. To clean around the stoma itself during a bag change, I use sensitive baby wipes.

AlexT
Reply to 7dragonflies.hm

Unless those wipes are specific for using around stomas, they may not be the best because they may contain something that may lead to sticking issues.

7dragonflies.hm

Well, they're not specific at all lol. But I've been using them all along and no problems at all. Like sticking to the skin? Or preventing the wafer from sticking? Either way, no issues, knock on wood. I do use a paste and barrier wipes before putting the wafer on, which of course help with protecting the skin and adding extra stick for the wafer.

ahynes111

I purchase the disposable soft cloths from my pharmacy home care...so soft around my stoma.

Newbie Dana

I use the "flushable" wipes when changing a pouch or appliance, and cleaning around the stoma. Usually Sam's Club special for a good price, but they have a pleasant scent and feel soft around the stoma, don't irritate, and don't contain any alcohol (like some baby wipes do). Since I use the sealed disposable pouches, I just throw the wipes away with the pouch and don't try to flush them.

NancyCat
Reply to AlexT

Seriously Alex????

NancyCat
Reply to Maried

When I change my appliance, and after I use the little packet of adhesive remover, I wet a warm paper towel to wipe off the excess adhesive remover (because if it's not all off the new ring and wafer won't stick) plus it warms the skin a little bit too--then I use a dry paper towel to dry the area-including my stoma, then I put on the ring, the wafer and I also put on a couple of adhesive barriers just to be on the safe side, then, slap on the pouch and you are good to go :)

SGHigh

I totally agree.

BruceFan

Actually, I use the "Kleenex Hand Towels". They are super soft. I cut them into squares (9 per towel). They can be hard to find. I get them at Target.

terrizajdel

Congrats on your anniversary!  

I use 1-inch double layer gauze squares. I dry and or clean up any moisture after my shower or during the bag change.

My son bought me a case of gauze so I'm set for a decade at least lol. 

AlexT
Reply to NancyCat

Yes. Most wipes have some sort of “moisture” added to them so it could lead to an issue of things sticking properly. There are wipes made specifically for ostomies because they are basically just moist from water with nothing else added in.

Fritzj

Congrats on your stoma-versary. On 7/3/23, I celebrated my 67th stomaversary.

C. Difficult

I use gauze and saline to clean and a hair dryer both to seal the adhesive to my skin and to dry the bag (if it's a covered bag) after a shower (I use Coloplast products exclusively). The hair dryer dries the bag in less than a minute and I can dress right away without clothes getting damp, which feels really gross.

NancyCat
Reply to C. Difficult

Hiya! When I get out of the shower, I just wrap a small towel around my appliance until it's dry. It gets rid of the dampness issue. Lol

mightymouseval

Small Fan

mightymouseval
Reply to NancyCat

Hi Nancycat, can you tell me what adhesive barriers are?

Daisy2023
Reply to AlexT

Where can you find wipes just for ostomies this would be cool. 

AlexT
Reply to Daisy2023

Brava skin cleanser wipes by Coloplast. 

Daisy2023
Reply to AlexT

Thanks so much I’m def going to have to try. 😊 I’ll have to look them up.