Considering Reconnection Surgery with Partial Colon Remaining

Replies
Views
Ostomight

I have an ileostomy and a mucus fistula. One-third of my colon was removed 14 months ago. Of course, I have learned that there are benefits to an ileostomy. I am not unhappy with my current situation. I met with and spoke to a surgeon about reconnection surgery, and he obviously couldn't tell me exactly how it would be for me if I got the surgery. Has anyone here had a reconnection to a partial colon?

Justbreathe

Ostomight - by the way, great name!

I hope you get some input regarding your question - I will be interested in any and all responses. Thanks for this post. jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostomight
Reply to Justbreathe

Thanks!

Beachboy

Hey Ostomight,

Unfortunately, there's no good answer that addresses our individual physical variables. It's really going to be a "try it" and hope for a good result, which sucks.

Earlier this year, I decided against reversal. I had too many surgeries already.

Hope all goes well for you, whatever your decision.

TerryLT

Hi Ostomight, it is impossible to predict your outcome, as there are so many variables and every situation is different. Generally speaking, the more colon you have, the better the chances of a good outcome. If your surgeon is promoting it and you trust him, that is a good sign; however, it might be a good idea to get another opinion. I was told I could have a reversal of my ileostomy, but chose not to. I have no colon left and my quality of life is good now, so I decided it was more risk than I was willing to take. Good luck with your decision.

Terry

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister