Was the reversal successful

Replies
Views
Pinetree

I am concerned that the colon which was subjected to radiation and may not control the feces once the reversal is completed.

eefyjig

What does your doctor say about this? It's a valid question.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Hi Norman, do you have a colostomy then? Do you have all your colon left? Has your surgeon done any testing to see how strong the muscles are that control the timing of when you have a bowel movement? Like eefyjig said, sounds like some good questions for your Dr 😃. If for whatever reason(s) you find yourself more comfortable with keeping your ostomy you need to share that with your medical team as well. Every person’s reversal story is different as there are so many factors involved like why one has an ostomy to begin with, what type of ostomy, age, gender/anatomy/ previous surgeries… to name a few. 

Newhere

I had a reversal just over 12 weeks ago, and I am happy with the outcome, I had a perforated bowel so i didn"t have any radiation treatment, But all went well.

Beachboy

Last year I had 46 radiation treatments for prostate cancer right before my perforated bowel issue that resulted in a colostomy.  I was informed by my radiation Onocologist and my surgeon that radiation causes permanent tissue damage affecting healing.... so, no reversal for me.  My surgeon was willing to "give it a shot"  but I decided I've had enough surgeries and hospitalization.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

Give it a shot? That comment alone would send me running for the hills, clutching my bag of pearls! :-)

gentlejohn

Crappycolondiaries is correct.  Fecal incontinence is a multi-factorial problem.  The question I would ask is how was your control before surgery?