Colonoscopy after Colostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
DexieB

Hello!  I will be having a colostomy reversal in a few months and the surgeon mentioned that 2 months after my takedown, I will need a colonoscopy for cancer surveillance.  I had a cancerous polyp removed in February, and that's what triggered the chain of events that left me with a colostomy.  Long story short, my colon was perforated by a surgeon during a procedure that was done after my colonoscopy to make sure I didn't have anymore cancer cells (I didn't).  I got sepsis, had emergency Hartmann's procedure, long hospital stay, and colostomy (they also took 14 lymph nodes during my surgery - all clear of cancer). 

For the past 5 months, the long ordeal I have been through has had me focusing on recovering and not thinking about the cancer - but just hearing that I will need a colonoscopy 2 months after takedown has brought all that terror back to the forefront of my mind.  Trying to be positive, but it's hard not to be nervous about a recurrence.  And it seems dangerous to go in so soon after takedown - the prep has got to be hard on the bowel I would think.  Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and how it went?  

Cplumber

Yikes. That’s a lot!!  I have no idea on this. But Monday is the monthly ostomy meeting in person or zoom someone there might know Or typically their are 1 or even 2 WOC nurses that attend that my be helpful. Or this Saturday is St Paul’s meeting same kinda thing except I don’t think they zoom 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,627 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Ask them to do the colonoscopy just before your reversal then it’s one less thing to deal with while you’re healing. Mind over matter and positive thinking when your cancer tests come up, I get a tad nervous when my come up too. 

Syd34

Hello DexieB further to our previous conversation as I had a very similar experience as yours. A year after my Hartmann surgery I had a colonoscopy which was in two parts. First they inserted the camera in my bowel via stoma, checked for any sign of cancer everything was normal but they found another very small polyp which was benign. Then checked the stump by inserting the camera via anus and checking the rectum etc which was cancer free afterward I did a CT Scan which was ok. Don’t worry about the colonoscopy it is going to be ok remember this time they only do a visual check for abnormalities. 
Good luck.

Newhere

Hey DexieB, I had my reversal done on August 2nd this year, Same as you perforated bowel , Hartmanns procedure.  About a month before reversal I had a colonoscopy up through the stoma and then the rear end to check things out, 

Ask the surgeon if he can do it before reversal?

That said i read you said your going in for reversal in January, in another reply you wrote, Dont worry all will go well for you, 

Take care,

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
gentlejohn

If you have had a cancerous polyp you definitely need follow up.  It makes more sense to do the colonoscopy before your colostomy closure.  If something is found it could be taken care of during the closure.  Also when someone has had a sigmoid resection usually colonoscopy is an easier procedure for the endoscopist.  

Justbreathe

You still have time to do research and to heal a bit more - I faced this decision myself and had a major change of heart after a few setbacks and what I refer to as “signs” .  We are each so different and these major decisions ultimately should be our own decision.  I found so few who would actually share their opinion with me.  Those who did express their opinions gave me the insight to see they don’t really know what I have gone through.  That is when I came to realize the decision was on me and me alone.  This was because no one else has gone down my exact same path or experienced my inner most struggles.  Least of all the surgeons, follow up doctors or any nurse.  No one and I mean no one else has your skin in your unwanted game.  I have no doubt all would have said - go for it.  

I would suggest  - seek all the information you can gather and go with what you feel is your best decision.  Is there any reason to consider a postponement for a bit longer to get a better feel for your readiness?  We all have well placed fear of any surgery.  Readiness is key though.  

My advice - do not let others make your decisions for you.  Yes, I have been accused of being “the devils advocate” in discussions but I feel the best decisions are made when all questions are answered with total honesty or at least something I feel I can trust.  

Best wishes and hugs to you.  Please keep us posted of your journey.  jb

Axl

Hi D

It's easy to beat yourself up when revisiting darker times, but fact is, it usually works out fine, its human nature to do that to ourselves. Good advice here regarding the colonoscopy, I'm sure you'll be fine.

IGGIE

G-Day DB,

I agree with AlexT, Why can't they do the Colonoscopy before the procedure. You poor thing they need to be making life a bit easer's for you.                                 Keep us up to date DB.

Regards IGGIE

DexieB

Thanks everyone for the great advice, insight, and kind responses!  I agree with you all and I did ask my surgeon why they can't do the colonoscopy before reversal, or even just look during my reversal while they are already in there - and he said it's better to wait until re-connection as he can get a much better in-depth look at everything. But if I choose to wait longer on getting the reversal,  he will do the colonoscopy through my stoma at my 1-year mark. I said, but isn't it a little dangerous to go back in there so soon after reversal surgery?  He simply said no.  

I don't know what the normal course of treatment is for my situation, and didn't want to keep questioning his judgement as he did save my life once already - so hopefully I can trust that he knows what he's doing.  Just wondered if anyone has had a similar situation - thanks for sharing your stories!  

I know I need the yearly cancer re-check -  the upcoming reversal surgery (Jan 30th) just complicates things!  Guessing I will always be scared to get a colonoscopy - I have to remind myself it's better to find out sooner than later if there's a recurrence.  I was incredibly lucky I caught it as early as I did - just unfortunate that a surgical error caused all these other problems.  I will have to find ways to cope with my anxiety when it's time for my colonoscopy every year!

I do have one more appointment prior to my surgery, so I will go over things again with him to put my mind at ease.  I feel I will be ready for reversal by January 30th, although it will be very scary (and my 4th surgery within the space of 1 year).  I think this at this point my hernia is bothering me more than my stoma - I won't miss that at all!    Thank you all for your support.  :)

IGGIE
Reply to DexieB

G-Day DB, I know it's OK to say don't worry but we are all thinking and rooting for you. Keep us up to date. Now sit back and have a couple of Whiskeys.            Regards IGGIE

Beachboy

Hi DexieB,

Maybe consider getting a second opinion.  Or even a third.  We have to be our own advocate.  Your reversal is coming up soon.  Don't feel rushed because your running short on time.  You can always reschedule reversal surgery.  Go online and lookup reviews and information about your surgeon.  Last year, when I was in the hospital, using my cell phone,  I looked up info on the 2 surgeons recommended to me by my case manager.  Both had graduated medical school over 20 years ago and had excellent former patient reviews.  I also looked up infection rates for the hospital I was in.  

Take care

DexieB
Reply to IGGIE

Thank you so much Iggie.  I will keep you all posted.  And that last part sounds good - I think I'll do that this weekend :)

DexieB
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks Beachboy!  I didn't have a choice on surgeons when I had my emergency surgery, but all the nurses kept telling me during recovery that I was lucky he was the one who was available when I was transferred there.  He is the same one who will do my reversal, and apparently has a great reputation.  I did my research on him after the fact and all the patient reviews online agreed with that. But thanks for the tip on infection rates - that's a great idea!  And yes, if I don't feel ready I'll definitely reschedule.  You are right about being our own advocate -thank you for always giving such sound advice. Have a great day!  I'll be enjoying the 65 degree weather in November here in Minnesota!!!  :)

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

Hi Dexie. I’m having a Virtual Colonoscopy tomorrow pre reversal. I had emergency Hartmann’s on September 9 due to a blockage caused by diverticulitis. My surgeon has put me straight on his list, probably to shut me up, as I always wanted to go for reversal in spite of being terrified! Please let us know how you get on with it all. Best of luck in your journey.

DexieB
Reply to Differentclass

I hope all goes great for you!  Best of luck - I will update you and I hope you will do the same!  Thanks ;)

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

Thanks Dexie, I’m sure all will be good, keep us updated