Preparing for reversal

Replies
Views
rfw1979

Hi all, I'm new here. I had a colostomy surgery 3 months ago and was told by the doctor that I will have the ostomy for 6 months while my colon heals before I can have the reversal surgery. I keep getting nagged by family members that I'm not eating right or doing what I need to do to have the reversal surgery. I ignore them because I was never told by the doctor that I had a restrictive diet passed the first month of the surgery. I have Crohn's disease already, so I'm used to what I can and cannot eat. Or at least, not eat as much as. I see undigested food when I empty my bag, but that's normal for me as my Crohn's does that to me. I basically eat what I want, and I'm not having any problems with my stoma at all. And I don't have insurance so I can't see a doctor to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. Thoughts? 

Morning glory

I am sure the family  has the best intentions  for you, however  if you are eating anything you want without a problem  that's  great news. Many many people  can and do eat anything without a problem.  You are much healthier  this way.  Try to chew your food more to prevent a blockage, and good luck with your reversal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,622 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB

Hey there, I have had a colostomy for 6 months (due to a surgical injury during a minor procedure) - I was not given any particular instructions aside from low fiber for a few weeks after my surgery....my surgeon said I can now eat whatever I ate before.  However, I know others on here have been given different advice, and it depends on your personal situation - so don't take this as "medical advice".   I've moved up to eating apples with the skin, nuts, salads, basically all the things I ate before.  You could try new things small amounts at a time and see if it affects you.  I too will be having a reversal soon - what my wound nurse did tell me is to eat more protein in the months leading up to it, and take collagen supplements for wound healing, she gave me some sample powders of a drink with collagen.  I wish you the best of luck!

AlexT

Good luck on the reversal and take their suggestions with the mindset that they are just worried for you. You and your doctors will know what’s best. 

7dragonflies.hm

Idk about diet leading up to reversal, I'm kinda wondering about it too. Inflammation in there was a concern so I've been trying to figure out if there's something to help reduce inflammation. My sister said I should be mindful of sugar in that regard. I don't eat much sweets anyway but I'm trying not to drink coke and I don't like it lol. Good luck on your reversal!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Borikua610

Hello, I can relate to the Crohn’s as well but my condition caused me to have ileostomy surgery, so nuts, foods with skins, and oats I can’t have. If family is giving advice you can take it with a grain of salt. My mom tried to give me advice because of my leakages and she suggested selafain (the cling wrap) to ease some itching and burning but the bag would need to be stuck to the skin not the wrap! 

If the doctor didn’t give you a planned diet after discharge then follow your gut, and chew your food. I have had some food undigested as well and I try to chew the food a bit longer now. But I’m glad that there’s an eta on your reattachment surgery date, because mine is up in the air, because of my inflamed large intestines. Just keep in mind that if you stick to your meds and eat all the right things, that six months will fly by. Just to put it in perspective, I haven’t been on meds for Crohn’s in over a year and five months. I’ve had surgery, abscesses, fistulas, and infections for that time and have been denied biologics until my system calms down, and nothings forms. It has been hell!! 

Just eat twice as much protein, and all of the other vitamins and spices to enhance your gut, and you’ll be ready for surgery again! I spoil myself every now and then with sweets or fast food but not like I did in the past. I have an open wound in my abdominal section where my belly button should be, and an ileostomy bag. So I’m trying to get my biologics started for six months and then possibly get my reattachment shortly after. But the plan is in the air and there’s no due date, just start and continue to be ready for hopefully one more surgery and that’s it. I’ve had two surgeries thus far, and they were both five months apart. 

Meds are important for Crohn’s, I totally understand that now, but as long as your on track with healing and eating all good things thoroughly, there shouldn’t be any delays. Throughout this journey for me, there are two many medical things I shouldn’t have known advanced than the mild case of Crohn’s. Try to enjoy the journey, and keep in check with how your body feels and reacts to the foods . If something feels off, seek out a medical professional that with advise and assist rather than not hear your concerns and issues. Stay well!