HELP! HELP! HELP! Need a new medical supplies supplier

Replies
Views
Cuppatears

Currently using McKesson/AdaptHealth and they are the WORST!  Formerly used Edgepark when I first had surgery, they stopped accepting my insurance and I was assigned to McKesson. Horrible right from the start, now after their absorption into AdaptHealth I can't deal with them anymore. Spent a total of 55 minutes on hold (3 different calls, hold on until they disconnect you), the last call was with the "Supervisor". 

I live in NJ and use Braven Health, does anyone know of a reliable medical supply company that speaks to you with respect, completes your order with a minimum of BS, and actually ships your supplies when ordered?

Since 2019 when I was assigned to them, I've had the same issues again and again, "have you changed insurance?" Not in the last 4 years. "Have you changed your address?" Not in the last 37 years. Same phone #, 37 years, same cell # for 27 years. They offer ONE telephone number no matter what your issue is, and the results are largely the same, someone claims to be investigating the problem and puts me on hold. Eventually the call disconnects.

I'm thoroughly fed up!!  Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Jai

blondedagmar1

I use byram. There online and they have always treated me well for the last 2 years. Hope that helps

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,531 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

blondedagmar1

They have one in somerset nj

Morning glory

I have  to go through  this almost every order with the same company. I  do have good luck  in getting  my order within  2 days.  I think it is ridiculous  that we even have to have a prescription in order to get our supplies.  It's  not like anyone would want  to use them if they weren't  necessary.

IGGIE

Come on guys lobby your political Party and get together to do what Australia, England and other forward thinking Countries do and supply all Ostomates with their products for Free. Some one as to start the ball rolling as they did in the other obviously more advanced Countries. I have been pushing this before but it seems no one is prepared to take the job on, don't think someone else will do it. Form a group. Regards IGGIE

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gemini16

I use liberator Medical.  They are pretty awesome.  They call me to revamp my 3 month medical supply.

Ostomy4life_22

I use 180 medical and they are good so far. No issues at all.

Bob 48
Reply to IGGIE

Nothing is free, do you not pay taxes? We are already taxed enough here in my opinion and I don't trust our government to use our taxes for what it's supposed to be used for if we were promised free health care as a result of paying more in taxes. Heck our politicians and thier sons get away with not paying taxes but they still tell everyone to pay thier fair share. Also it hard to compare a country like yours with a population that's probably smaller than California's. We have absorbed 5-20 million people in the last 3 years illegally and our taxes are going to thier care, which I doubt Australia is dealing with anything close to that. I'm pretty sure you have to have a sizable savings account and or work lined up to immigrate to Australia or Canada. You are comparing apples to oranges. I think there should be a better system here but its not as easy as you think and people are going to have to be realistic about a solution and that would hurt some feelings.

Beth22

I went through this as well with insurance company's and trying to find a supplier a couple times. Best advice is to call the distribution company's and ask them if they take your insurance. They will know and can tell you right off the bat. Don't waste your time calling the insurance company one they literally have no idea with an ostomy even is and two they don't know what distribution company is or isn't covered, and a lot of the time they will give you ones that don't even pertain to you or the supplies you need. Read reviews and listen to others about distribution company's there are a lot of bad ones out there. Prism and edge park for me have been by far the worst, one didn't even give me my bags in my order and left me sitting there. The best two i have used is Bryham and comfort medical . Hope that helps 

IGGIE
Reply to Bob 48

Well Bob you just went a long way round to say , you for one wont do a goddamn thing about it, so as you say it looks like we have some Great Apples you will always have Lousy Oranges. I am shore you pay Taxes as well Bob, but you still don't get your Ostomy Products for free.  You used to be Great. Regards IGGIE

AlexT
Reply to Morning glory

It’s odd all different insurance companies vary so much on the procedure to get supplies. My ostomy nurse has to renew my prescription once a year(unless o request something different), then the pharmacy I use here to get my stuff sends me a text each month asking if I need/ready to reorder my monthly supplies, I simply text back….yes. My supplies come a couple days later to my door. 

Morning glory
Reply to AlexT

The question  that the  supplier also asks me how many bags I have left. This really infuriates me. Like I  am calling for the heck of it.

Beachboy

I've used Edgepark for a year.  So far no problems.  Always available if I call.  They know my insurance limits and advise me accordingly.

Maybe different insurance companies influence the medical supply process.

Itsme58

You might want to check with your insurance company that your insurance is thorough and ask them what your coverage covers. For example, I have Medicare advantage PPO and I go through binsons, under the insurance I have I can have four boxes with 10 bags in each bag making it 40 bags a month I get the same multiple rings I get the same adhesive remover but stoma powder and skin prep. I get a little less and they tape the half tapes that I used to tape and secure my bag to me, they only cover 20 pieces a month so I pay out-of-pocket for an extra box because I like them . 

So I would say contact your insurance Company Aetna or Medicare or Blue Cross or whoever your carrier is and ask them what does your contract cover and ask them what are the payable Medical supplier in my area. And yes, my script is for a whole year and it has taken me three years to have my medical supplier get it right now. They have it right and now all I have to do is ask my doctor too in a year update my script, but I should still get the same amount of supplies not all insurance companies are the same all may not cover the same, so check with your insurance company and find out what is and who is covered on your policy I hope it helps. Good luck. 

Gemini16

I use liberator medical.  They are awesome.  They call me to revamp my stash  :)

AlexT
Reply to Morning glory

Simply say…..I’m on my last one, would you like it thrown on your desk when I’m done to make sure I used it too? 

gentlejohn

I use Byram without any problems

Past Member

I started off with byram but found a local pharmacy. I also like H.P.F.Y. health products for you. Their web site is www.shopostomysupplies.com. they have the best deals and I've always received my orders with in 3 days

Beachboy
Reply to Anonymous

Thanks Ryan.  Always good to know alternate suppliers.

Downtown

I buy most of my products from ebay, and bypass the insurance company all together.   The resulting cost to me is cheaper than going through a distributor and paying deductibles.  What I can buy on ebay for $200 would cost over $1,000 from a distributor.  Everyone's situation is different.  I am thankful and lucky that I found a product I like, and I can get them from multiple sources. 

Beachboy
Reply to Downtown

Very good point.  My family (just a spouse),  deductible is $2000.  Both of us are required to pay off the deductible.  I had a couple of CT scans and blood work.  I paid $2200.  I called insurance and said, "after $2000  the $200 should have been reduced to $40, ( 20%).

Insurance said:  No, each member on the insurance can only pay off a certain percentage of the deductible.  

They must hire experts to figure ways of screwing us.

I just had a shipment of Ostomy supplies arrive.  Since my wife & I haven't satisfied our insurance deductible This year, (even though I paid way more than $2000 in medical bills),  I paid $248.00.  About the same cost as buying the stuff on Amazon.  If my deductible was met, I'm charged $48.

warrior

I use edgepark  online to order my stuff and that's not a problem they keep track of that ...they have this Continued Care thing so you put in what you want and then they say  they have to check with your doctor and then once that's done they send you a message saying that you have to reconfirm the order so that means you have to call into the place twice or use the online form twice..  .  which is ridiculous I personally don't like using the telephone I rarely use it but the online services so far have been okay I just don't like the protocol where you have to actually  reconfirm yur order ... the doctor said it was okay to get these products and then I have to recertify that saying well yes of course i need these products that's why I ordered them in the first place!!!   it should be   more efficient and why do they have to call the doctor for approval each and every time u order something??    totally ridiculous  .

I think what you may need to do is just try find an  Insurance Company that the supplier will accept and just try to make it less of a hassle if you have that option??  then ebay works too.

good luck..

anneboyles12

I hate edgepark- I’ve recently switched to comfort medical - so far kind and competent. 

warrior

Edgepark came thru for me ..but that took 3 calls to get it  done . 3 reps were  all kind and sincere. 

professionals. I do not have a complaint with the reps.

The company  CEO itself needs an enema. 

if you have b/c b/s

of nj as an insurance carrier,  you have to call them first for coverage on their vendors.

also get this, the coloplast rep said same thing. she knew the deal. saved me a call into bc bs nj. 

she told me

3  suppliers exist in nj.

edgepark.

byram

comfort medical.

I was tempted to replace Edgepark.  My experience has been good using them until recently with a bad order.

It's all good now.