Returning to work

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

Hi folks, for those of you who have returned to work…how long did it take to feel normal again? 

Kas

I went back to work 3 months after my colostomy (had a few small bowel resections 6 weeks before that). I have been back 2 months and still can only manage 24 hours a week, tried 40 but couldn’t do it.  I’m a nurse practitioner in a busy family practice.  I come home exhausted every day I work.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,528 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Took about 5 minutes. Going to the bathroom is going to the bathroom, ostomy or not. You’ll get a routine down and it’ll become second nature. 

Beachboy

Went back to work full time 3 weeks post op.  I work 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day + 70 mile round trip commute in heavy LA traffic.  Took me 6 months before I felt  normal, and used to my colostomy.

Happy-but-Newbie

Went back to work 5 weeks post urostomy, back to work in the office 2 months post surgery...

Only difference is...I cannot hold pee at all, so when bag is ready to be emptied...I MUST go, even if it's in the middle of a meeting...

but this is understood, so no issues.

I was more stressed about fear for leaks or similar then actually tired because of commute+work....now getting calmer :-) 4 months post op

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Justbreathe

Retired many years ago but KUDOS to all of you who must endure this handicap and continue working.  Especially early on after surgery it must be very difficult for most.  jb

amymariefred

I tried to go back after 6 weeks post ileostomy with light duty but they couldn’t accommodate my request. After 8 weeks I returned to full time work as a teacher in a classroom with students with severe disabilities. It’s been three months now and I’m not as tired but I do need to sit more often than before surgery. Although I am having a reversal soon and know I have a second recovery coming, I know what to expect, or know more than I did. 

Moehrit

I went back 6 months after surgery as a GI/ Colorectal Nurse. Vast change than my normal inpatient. I get exhausted, foggy brained, amongst other things. I probably should've went back part time but this is easier on the brain and body than medsurg or homecare

Mommad

I tried going back 6 weeks post op, but it didn't work out.  It took so long to heal (I attribute it to age).  After 3 months I took an early retirement, and have never looked back :-).  I think it took me about 6 months to feel normal again, if I was ever normal lol.