Night time gas balloons

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

So I am wondering, during the day my ostomy gives me the raspberries but the bag doesn't fill up with gas the way it does at night. Over night and into the wee morning hours my ostomy manages to fill the bag so full of air that there is no give at all when you press on it. I don't eat a lot of gas producing foods before bed or even during the day. I avoid things like carbonated beverages. Why is it that I only get balloons over night and not during my waking hours???

Lee

Morning glory

My  first thought is that you are opening the bag to empty it during the day. You  produce  a certain amount of gas . We never really paid much attention to that before we became ostomates. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,610 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig

My middle-of-the-night inner monologue involves wondering if I can pass on getting up to empty and, instead, either burp my bag (which I'll do several times) or simply ignore the fact that it looks like a blowfish and hope that it doesn't explode. I know I should just empty and go back to bed because the argument I have with myself actually keeps me awake. It's a nightly dilemma!

AlexT

You know those baby food veggies/fruits you told someone about eating at night, healthy food produces gas. 

AlexT
Reply to eefyjig

Which Eefyjig do we get on the forum, the one that wants to empty or the one that wants to sleep? 😂🤪

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
eefyjig
Reply to AlexT

Oh I’m a chameleon. If you need me to be serious, I am. If humor is indicated, I’m there. If I’m having a bad day, I mutter sarcastic things about you under my breath while I respond 🤓😉

eefyjig
Reply to AlexT

But never about you, Alex! 

Eagles2023
Reply to eefyjig

This is exactly what I'd do to myself as well, a real debacle.. with myself..lol. 

Then after a few "unfortunate" issues. I forced myself.. to get up..just so I could 😴 in peace. 

Bill

Hello Lee. 
 I have no idea 'why' this happens.
My solution is to wear an irrigation sleeve at nights (folded up to make a massive bag). Still plenty of gas but there is no more worrying about a bag explosion as the sleeve is quite capable of containing all the gas I produce and more.
What is it they say: 'Necessity is the mother of invention!'
Best wishes
Bill 

Beachboy
Reply to eefyjig

I do the same.  Stay in bed, rearrange the bag, then burp it...... but catch heck if my wife gets "wind" of it.  

I've been banished to the couch many times.

Eat food... get gas.

DexieB
Reply to Beachboy

Same!  I'm always in trouble with the husband for this.  I use the excuse that he's allowed to fart in bed....why can't I?  LOL

AlexT
Reply to DexieB

It’s not even close to the same, you have way more impact on his nostrils than he does yours.  😁🤢

Beachboy

Me thinks I might have singed my wife's nose hairs....both nostrils.  

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

I guess that is true, but what I eat during the day should cause more gas then a simple small snack at 8:30 when I don't go to bed till after 10 and sometimes not even till midnight. I think my stoma saves up gas and tries to give it all to me when I am sleeping. I usually wake up between 1 and 3am and have to go empty and let the gas out. I was wondering if the filter gets clogged at night and so doesn't let the air out properly. 

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Bill

That is an interesting solution. I don't have any irrigation sleeves. I do have a couple high volume bags but I don't know if they fit on my current wafer. I suppose I could give that a try. Fortuately I have never had the bag explode. I have heard horror stories about that happening. Once I had the bag come off the wafer but that was a long time ago. 

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Morning glory

I think we didn't think about it before because it wasn't contained in a bag. When normal people pass gas it just goes through their clothes and into the air. When a ostomate passes gas it goes into an air tight bag. 

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to eefyjig

Yeah it is a problem for me because if I get up there is really less of a chance tht I can get back to sleep. I just kind of wake up for keeps. 

Lee

moonshine

If you eat carbs, they also produce gas. I have found that during the day since I empty the pouch often, the air gets released. I usually cut off my intake of food around noon and yes it is tough and takes getting used to. I will allow herbal tea or water to fill my belly if I feel hungry. There are bags with built in filters which allow for the gas to pass as it is released from your stoma. I still use a one piece drainable pouch without a filter but if the other type works then try it. Hollister and Coloplast will send you samples of any pouching system you want to try.

Peace

infinitycastle52777
Reply to moonshine

I use a bag with a filter but it never seems to work. I know a lot of people think that those filters work great, but I have never found them to work. 

Lee

Pattycakes

One suggestion that helped me is:  Try not to eat / drink anything that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup.  FYI, if you like soda, Pepsi makes a cola made with “Real Sugar.”  Hope this helps.