Changing from illeostomy to colostomy

Replies
Views
jalrein

After 3 yrs my illeostomy is being reversed and reconnected and I'm having a colostomy moved to the other side of my abdomen. I'm curious as to the difference between the 2. Drs tell me what to expect but I'd love to hear from anyone here who's had a similar change and from people who have a colostomy and can tell me what to expect. I.e....changing 2 piece appliance, how often ill need to change and stuff like that...

Ahdillydilly

Good evening, 

I only had an ileostomy for a couple days before getting a permanent colostomy. The one thing I discovered was your stool will be more solid than liquid. (Like “nomal” people poo). Because of that emptying the bag is a little bit messier. I like having a clean bag at all times so I started cleaning the inside of the bag with water. (My dr said it was completely fine to do that) I empty my bag  2x or 3x a day depending on how active things are. When I empty, I keep a small cup by the sink and fill it with warm water to help the stool exit the bag easier. Rinse repeat. Rinse repeat. I change my bag twice a week. 
Drink a lot of water. It’s very important and moving a couple times a day will make a world of difference. I ate a lot of soups because I was nervous about blockage. If you eat when you’re hungry and listen to your body you should be fine.

I too am new to all this so if what I’ve mentioned is already commons sense then ooopppeee. Those things work for me ;) 

Good luck and feel free to reach out :)

M

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,601 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

I've had a colostomy for over a year.  As mentioned by Ahdillydilly, output will be thicker and not acidic.  I use Hollister 2 piece system.  I've never had a leak or bag blowout.  I change the wafer every 7 days.  Put on a new bag every 3 days.  I work full time, 6 days a week.  Don't have facilities or time at work to wash out the bag when I empty.  I developed a peristomal hernia, so my stoma sticks out quite a bit.  Wearing a a support belt helps hold it in.  I use belts from Nu-Hope Corp.  

I drink lots of water and electrolyte beverages.  Dehydration will knock you out.  Happened to me at work.  Ended up in hospital for 2 days.

Take care

TerryLT

I've had both, but in the opposite order from you.  I started with a colostomy, had it for 8 months or so before the ileo.  Yes, your output will probably be more solid, so just drink lots of fluids, which you had to do with the ileo anyway.  One big difference that you will probably notice is that your output with a colostomy will be less caustic, and therefore not as hard on your peristomal skin.  You will be less likely to have skin problems with the colostomy, which is a positive.  You most likely won't have to empty as much.  I used to go through the night without emptying, which is not the case now with the ileo, so another positive for you.  Your stoma with a colostomy will be slightly bigger, simply because the section of bowel they bring to the surface is bigger with a colostomy.  Those are the main differences.  I hope it turns out to be a good change for you!

Terry

Terry

Ostomy4life_22
Reply to Ahdillydilly

I was the exact same way. I went from a ilieostomy to colostomy. I liked how the poo wasn’t so watery and I also use water to clean out my bag. I usually eat what I want but always mindful of what could happen if I eat certain things.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister