New to Colostomy - Struggling with Odor Issues

Replies
Views
jalrein
Apr 02, 2024 6:44 pm

I had an ileostomy for 3 1/2 years and it's been reversed and hooked back up after hernia surgery. Now that I have a colostomy, I'm having a really difficult time with the fact that my ileostomy had ZERO odor and now the colostomy has a really bad odor that I have to get used to. I've bought boxes of scented candles that I have to have in my bathroom and throughout my apartment. I feel it's really difficult to visit friends because I can't go into their bathroom and empty my bag if it's going to leave a smelly bathroom. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm kind of lost here with this odor business. Thank you for any responses.

AlexT
Apr 02, 2024 7:21 pm

My output from my colostomy has hardly any odor. 🤷‍♂️

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
Apr 02, 2024 7:37 pm

Yeah, sounds odd to me as an ileo myself. It does smell when it leaks only... bust a ring close to a blowout smell... so how does a colo smell worse...

Use M9 to control smell. 

JVM261
Apr 02, 2024 7:49 pm

I always thought I would like a colostomy better. I mean, if I could choose. I heard you can go without the bag for hours if you want, and it's much more predictable. As for the smell, I know that for me with the ileostomy, it was horrible, and I was so embarrassed at the start as I had a bacterial infection. Now I don't smell anything, depending on what I eat, but what I realized later is that antibiotics really don't help the smell. If you are or were recently on antibiotics, perhaps it's making things smell worse? For me, for the bad days when I have them, the Zep deodorizing spray after bathroom use works really well. I just read somewhere that some people use Tic Tacs in the bag. But most everybody here recommends M9, which I have never used, but I heard is really good.

TerryLT
Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm

It seems very strange to me that you had no odor with your ileostomy, but are having odor problems with a colostomy. If anything, stool from a colostomy will smell more because it has more bacteria in it from the digestion process. The output from an ileostomy has not broken down or been digested nearly as much. It is all diet-related, so have you changed your diet since getting the colostomy? If you eat really bland foods, your output will not smell, or at least not nearly as much. Eat lots of garlic, onions, eggs, beans, etc., and that changes things. There are lots of products out there for ostomates to combat odors. I'm sure other members will pipe in with suggestions.

Terry

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Kas
Apr 02, 2024 8:17 pm

I have a colostomy and normally don't have a potent odor, but certain foods will cause more odors than others. Onions, eggs, garlic. You can look up the foods online. Cranberry juice is supposed to decrease odor. I use M9 drops and they work well.

Everyone poops and none of it smells good. Don't let your stoma keep you from enjoying your life!

aTraveler
Apr 02, 2024 10:26 pm

You probably are used to eating pretty much anything, but with a colostomy and many ileostomies, it pays to watch your diet. For decreased output odor — Colostomy or ileostomy: blueberry, buttermilk, parsley, tomato juice, orange juice, yogurt, cranberry juice, spinach, peppermint oil.

Some foods that do cause odors:

Asparagus, cod liver oil, strong cheese, coffee, garlic, prunes, beans, cucumbers, green peppers, radishes, Brussels sprouts, eggs, milk, turnips, cabbage, fish, onions, certain vitamins/drugs, alcoholic beverages, broccoli, peanut butter, baked beans.

Ostomy odor is created by bacteria breaking down certain foods, turning it into odorous waste and also sometimes creating odorous gases. There is more bacteria in the colon.

There are many deodorants that are available to minimize odor in pouches. Many ostomates like Hollister's M9 drops. I don't like the smell that M9 causes when it mixes with my stool. It does reduce the odor, but the attendant odor was not for me. I do use the scented M9 spray as a deodorizer/air freshener. Be Free is a pretty good odor eliminator and lubricant. I use Hollister's Brava Lubricant and deodorant along with 10-20 ml of hydrogen peroxide. Convatec also makes a lubricant-deodorant. You can contact the manufacturers to obtain free sachets of the different deodorants. If visiting friends, stay away from the odor-causing foods and maybe consume more of the odor-reducing foods. Keep a diary to see which of the odor-causing foods you should avoid. "mySymptoms" is an app that is useful for keeping a diary. I think you will find you can control the odor, don't despair.

JVM261
Apr 03, 2024 6:29 pm
Reply to aTraveler

I just want to add a little note. I study aromatherapy. Peppermint oil can be very corrosive to the gut. Make sure it's not an essential oil but a flavoring oil for food. I know there is a member here who recommended chlorophyll; I think it was Mysterious Moose, but I'm not sure. Sometimes that has a little bit of food-grade peppermint.