Disposing of Full Closed-End Bags: Tips and Suggestions

Replies
Views
ERay

What do you do with the full closed-end bag after you change? Is there a cap or something you can put on it? How do you dispose of a full bag?

funnygurl

I use one of those mini black garbage bags used for dog poop. They tie at the top and then put it in a diaper genie. Empty it once a week on garbage day. My pouches have adhesive where they attach to the flange so the opening sticks to the inside of the doggie doo bag and seals it. I buy the doggie bags at dollar stores in Canada.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,472 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bag_n_drag

I use a gallon-sized ziplock bag....just put the full closed pouch into it, zip it up, and put it in a Diaper Genie. Then we just empty the Diaper Genie on trash days.

mooza

Couldn't you empty it in the toilet? Then throw it away? Shit, something. I don't know! Um, yeah, wouldn't you do that or did I miss something? Sorry, if I did. You mean an empty pouch?? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bill
I don't have bags anymore but when I did, I used to fold the bag ver on itself so that the sticky flange stuck to itself. I would then dispose of it in one of the many dog - loos along with the doggy bags.

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
DH

I wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a diaper genie. The diaper genie can hold a lot of bags and blocks out odor. You can get them cheap at Walmart. When I have diarrhea, I use an ostomy trash bag, such as Bag it Away, and just put it in regular trash because sometimes with diarrhea the bag is too bulky to squeeze into the diaper genie.

Xerxes
Just curious. Why don't you use the drainable pouch?
X_
sherrybear

Don't you get bags in with your box of bags? I get 100 bags for my throwaways. I also wear a closed-in pouch. If not, any bag is better than no bag.

Quickfix

I use the black doggy bags from the dollar store too, and they are flushable and biodegradable. I have been doing this for 2 years and never had a plugged toilet. I know of other people that flush them too. You don't need to tie them closed, just "drop them in and flush".
They cost 1.5 cents each as compared to the commercial bags that cost approximately 20 cents each.

I would not recommend flushing them if you are on a septic system.

I live in Canada.

kbd

When I order bags from Hollister, they send me small plastic disposal bags to put the full bags into. I notice that these still allow odor through, so I end up double-bagging the full bag before throwing it in the trash.
KBD

newcomer

The boxes of pouches come with the blue bags. Just put the pouch under the bag, drop it in, then wipe around. Put a new pouch on, tie the bag, and dispose. Pretty easy.

newcomer

Wow, flushable doggy bags! Gotta give them a try. Thanks!

Quickfix

As an addendum to my previous post, the black doggy bags are available in Giant Tiger in Canada and probably many other places too.
They are in a green box of 150 and cost approximately $2.50 (round figure). They are actually called "Poopy Sac" and, believe it or not, they are vanilla scented (LOL). They are lighter in weight than the commercial brand and maybe just a shade harder to snap on the flange because you can't see through them, but after the first 5 or 10, it is no problem at all and I have NEVER had one come off.

Good luck

Quickfix

Did you try flushing the bag liners yet?

Quickfix
Hi
Have you tried the flushable doggy bags yet?