Seeking Advice: Struggling to Firm Ab-area Post-Stoma Placement

Replies
Views
shl3610
Just a quick question to all you ostomates. Has anyone ever had a problem firming up the ab-area where the stoma was placed? I have tried many exercises, but nothing seems to work.
Bill
Hello shl3610,

Your question implies 'regaining' ab. muscles as compard to 'gaining' them.   I had reasonable muscles in this area before my op. and I was horrified when they were weak, bulging and flabby after the op. I also had a hervia behind the stoma which was a bit of a concern. However, after consulting my stoma nurse about exercises, I returned to my previous routine (twice per day) of lying on my back; lifting my legs so that my feet were about 18 inches off the ground and doing a variety of movements with my legs as weights to my abdominal muscles. This was in order to exercise the ab muscles on both sides.   At first I wore a hernia belt so that I would not make that worse than it was.  After a month or so I began noticing that the muscle tone was coming back and the  stomach swelling was also diminishing.

I had been doing this sort of exercise for some years prior to my operation as I have arthritus and  these exercises help with loosening up before I am able to get out of bed in the mornings. It was a pleasnt surprise to find that they were also useful for the problem of flabby ab muscles after the op.

I would always advise that people talk to their stoma nurse or someone else who knows about post op exercises before putting any strain on those places that may have been damaged by surgery.

I hope you find this helpful

Best wishes

Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,481 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Bill,

Was only with my stoma nurse today for a rash problem I was having and forgot to ask her about tummy exercises. I'm a bit out of shape like you were and would appreciate knowing those exercises. Would you be able to help, please? I know I'm due for a reversal quite soon, but would still like to get rid of that bulge behind the stoma. Many thanks, Colm
Bill
Hello Dandare,  It would take too long to explain exactly what I do in terms of abdominal exercises. I change and vary my routine every so often in order to make it more interesting and motivating.  Basically it's using the legs as weights to exercise the abdominal muscles. I put them in all sorts of posititions and hold them until it 'just' starts to feel uncomfortable. Many years ago I read a book on exercise and stretching for physical activities such as rugby and athletics.  these are much the same exercises. I also think they are much the same as people use when doing yoga.  As with all sorts of physical exersion, it pays to warm up and to spend time relaxing in order for the muscles to recuperate so that the exercises can continue with much less chance of doing yourself a mischief.   I have been on the WWW. (google) to see if I could find something similar to what I do, for you to have a look at and I found this Youtube clip.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjXydhvWH_M  

I didn't find that EFT worked very well for me but I do know of people that found it invaluable.

There are a host of other sites under the heading 'abdominal exercises for hernias'

I hope you find this helpful

Best wishes

Bill
Past Member

Oh, thank you so much, Bill. I get the idea behind what you're doing. Used to be a winger years ago with my local club.

Will give it a go tonight and don't worry, I'll do some warm-ups beforehand. I actually forgot about looking up hernia exercises, but when I saw this, I thought it would be safer to try something tried and tested.

But thank you again for going to so much trouble to help me out. It's very much appreciated.
Thanks again, Colm

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Can't find a meaning for "winger" - please explain.

Past Member

Hi there, Dawneagle. Apologies for using a foreign language like that! This is a position in rugby, No. 14. I suppose the equivalent in American Football would be a cornerback. In comparison to most rugby union positions, it would be one of the lighter and faster ones. Hope this explains it for you. Take good care, Colm.

mettajojo

I started Pilates and gentle yoga 3 weeks ago after my operation in June... It hurts at first couple of weeks but I know I have to strengthen my abdomen, so I carry on going to the classes twice a week, and now it's getting better and better. I am going to try three times a week soon. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Jo