Unexplained Rectal Discharge and Back Pain - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
hereskaren
Hi, all-
I also have an ileostomy and experience this same discharge. My doctor told me that one of the most common things that gets overlooked to discuss is this very thing. People don't get told anything about it and then get freaked out or nervous when it happens. When you leave the rectum in, it still thinks it has a job to do. So, you will get this discharge. When it causes a lot of pain and is mixed with blood, one should consider getting surgery. Sometimes, the cramping and mucous discharge is so bad that it mirrors the same feelings we had prior to getting the ileo surgery (for those with ulcerative colitis). Otherwise, it is an unfortunate and annoying thing to live with. Some people wear pantyliners; others don't get it except for when they are sitting on the bowl. Many of us also experience adhesion pains. My first ileostomy failed. I have multiple fistulas and eventually we moved the ileo to the other side. I now experience chronic pain. To those who have this, what drugs do you find to help with that, if any? Best of luck to all of you. It would be nice to have been more informed on this, huh? Anyway, be well and hang tough. XOXO
supernan

I was lucky in that a stoma nurse did tell me that the brain will tell the rectal stump to produce mucus at times, but the problem with this one was the amount and color. After having one pelvic collection I didn't want a repeat! However, this time my stoma nurse told me to see a doctor that day and I certainly think if it has any odor then this also has to be the case. In my case, I know that they left quite a long rectal stump which might be the cause of the problem but as I cannot have any more surgery then it is just a case of looking after it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cecille

My rectal discharge is sometimes copious and pink, but this has not happened very often. I believe it happens as a symptom of stress, which is, I believe, what caused my ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease in the first place. I am planning to have a reversal in due course, but I won't be able to do anything about that until this situation has calmed down. At least I don't have any pain, so that's one good thing. It's good to hear from others that this type of thing is actually quite normal!

supernan

Oh, I do agree with you how hearing about other people's experiences can help and sometimes give you hope for the future and normality (whatever that is!).

Yukon steve

I had a terrible scare myself the first time I had sweet and sour sauce the first time after my ileostomy. The discharge in my bag never got mixed up and it looked just like a bunch of blood clots. I went to the nursing station and the nurse was checking to see if it was blood, and my doctor happened to look in and casually asked me if I was eating Chinese food for dinner. He sees it with most of his ostomy patients. So since then, I kind of anticipate what the color of my stool will be when I eat new foods.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Elmer

Hi All, I just want to first say I am profoundly appreciative to have found a topic related to rectal discharge from the rectal remnant. This particular subject is difficult to research and my doctor dismisses my concerns by saying that everything I am experiencing is normal in regards to color and consistency of mucosal discharge. If you are looking to read studies use search terms that include "rectal remnant." So to get down to the concern in the post.

Number 1) rectal discharge is normal and the quantity and consistency change ;slightly ;throughout the week. Number 2) the mucus does come in different colors, in my case it is almost always sinus infection green, however, it has also been yellow-light tan and tinged with pink-orange (how reassuring and pleasant!). Number 3) the most important thing to determine is your baseline for rectal discharge. What does it typically smell like, look like and how much do you typically produce? If any of these factors vary from your baseline then you might have a problem and you should not stop pestering ;your doctor until it has been examined. I will tell you why they should take you seriously.

I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma last year after suffering from severe abdominal ;pain, severe anemia, and indigestion for a few months. I grudgingly went to a doctor who found I had anemia with no cause and gave me iron treatments and sent me home. 2 months later the pain became so severe and I was vomiting a few times a day I could barely bring myself to work. Night sweats, unbearable pain, this was no IBS (like the doctors said I was suffering from). I was admitted to the hospital, thanks to my general ;PA, and eventually learned I had a very large tumor that was connected to the outside of both my small intestine and large intestine in multiple places. After resection of most of my colon, rectum and a section of small intestine I awoke from surgery to find I had a colostomy. Because I was starved of food for 1.5 weeks I didn't have bowel movements or solid food for over a month after surgery. Like many of you, I may have died without having the surgery which left me with a colostomy. Fortunately for my personality, it was easy to adjust to and I was grateful just to be alive at all. Not long after getting home, I began to have discharge that was embarrassingly foul smelling and green. I was deemed cancer free after the resection from surgery and waiting for adjuvant cancer therapy. A month down the road and the green smelly sticky mucus changed into an uncontrollable liquid that would leak out of my rectum. Additionally, the discharge was accompanied by a sensation of my ;rectal muscles working and it was distracting and unpleasant. I couldn't get the muscles to relax, similar to a charley-horse. It was uncomfortable and the feeling of my rectum was constant. I ;started having to wear diapers and I would have to change the padding in them almost every 30 minutes. I spoke with my doctor several times about the discharge and in the beginning, it was dismissed as normal. The progression happened quickly from the green mucus to runny, pink, liquid mayhem. Finally, I got an endoscopy (I like to call them rectoscopy because my rectal remnant is only 4 inches long at most lol) and they found that the cancer had moved into my rectal remnant on the surgical line. After about 1 month of living like this, my doctor finally started me on a treatment. The day after my first treatment I noticed immediate changes in the ;characteristics of the rectal discharge. The ;quantity of the discharge began to lessen and color returned to green. Additionally, I was put on an antibiotic treatment and this eliminated the foul smell. Most importantly I could remove the diaper!

One year has passed has since I was diagnosed with cancer and I am clear of cancer as far as I know, however, today I had a pink discharge of a slightly more watery quality than normal. Typically I have green sticky mucus so this raised my alarm. I will schedule the unpleasant but necessary endoscopy Monday. Don't let your doctors minimize your concerns. Remind them that we have put this much time and money into providing a healthy and pain-free life and if we want to continue this we should make sure that the little things are not overlooked. Fortunately, many of you do not have a history of extremely aggressive cancer, however, listening to the little voice that tells you, this doesn't feel right, are valid and should be investigated. Of course, I hope the pink is of no concern, but best to be on the safe side!

I had heard that because the rectum is accustomed to having fecal matter sweeping through the cavity assisted by mucus ;that the cells in the rectum are starved of nutrients that would be provided by the fecal matter and this malnourishment can be the cause of the unhappy mucus. I also have heard that poop transplant into the rectum can assist in bringing those cells back into a healthy state. Of course, research and talk to a trusted open healthcare provider before you try anything. I haven't cared to try this method as it seems cumbersome. I do have concerns of the cells mutating in the rectal remnant and becoming cancerous due to the lack of proper nourishment and therefore I may try this method to see if the rectal discharge turns to a mellow white or clear mucus rather than green (which to me is indicative of unhappy cells and infection). Any thoughts, call outs for inaccuracies of the functioning of the remnant or clarification on this topic?

Wishing you all vitality and health,