Airport Security for Stoma Passengers

Replies
Views
ilsn2u

I've flown a lot since I had my ileostomy in 2006 with no problems. I also have two hip replacements, so I always tell them (not where you show your passport, but before you go through security itself) that I have hip replacements and an ostomy, and if there is a body scanner, I go through that and that is the end of it—that is the simplest thing to do! But if I do go through a regular scanner (not the type where you hold your hands up—those are great), and it rings, they call for a "female assist" and then I tell her that I have hip replacements and an ostomy, and I'm patted down and sometimes they do the "bomb" thing where they have me rub the outside of my slacks, then they rub a piece of paper (?) over my hands and put it through a machine, and then I'm on my way. Once, quite a few years ago, they asked me to go into a private room, and then they didn't know what to do next! It was very amusing, to say the least. I now wear a bag that you can see through (I didn't then), and I'd love to have someone ask to see it, and watch their face as they view my poop! Anyway, just "hang loose," as they say in Hawaii...it's really no big deal. I've heard stories about someone's appliance being ripped off, but I'm not sure that isn't an "urban legend."

gee07

Thanks ilsn2u for your comments, I have had a lot of comments from here where most people have gone through without much trouble.
Not too sure I agree with your liking for someone to view the contents of my bag. It's a bit like watching someone on the loo who doesn't have a stoma. Perhaps I've had mine too long to where I still think some bits of stoma life are still left private. Thanks anyway. Gee07

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,686 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I have flown often. I find entering the line with a smile, knowing they are just doing what they have been assigned to do by the government, works well. I treat them with respect and I simply ask them to be gentle when they pat me down because I have an ostomy bag on my belly and it might become rather messy for them if they pat me down too hard. At that point, they let me pass through rather than having to deal with the fear that could be producing a nasty mess. Their lack of knowledge of what might happen works every time.

Crusty Codger
Past Member

Last time I flew was in 2010, I had the TSA folks scrutinize the appliance as it showed up on the death ray scanners they now use. It wasn't a big deal, dude asked me to step aside and I beat him to the questions he was undoubtedly going to ask by telling him what it was and offering to show him. Pulled the waistband of my pants down enough for him to see the top of the appliance and on my way I went. I have heard of real horror stories regarding ostomates and airport security but fortunately I have been fine. I think being upfront about it and offering to show them exactly what it is they are seeing on the scanner, or feeling (if you get "the patdown") would go a long way to making the experience a bit less troubling.

heshootshescores

Hello, I don't fly very often at all. My experience is that you can't take scissors with you on the plane. I used mine for cutting a hole in the bag for the size of my stoma. They were confiscated. I now use a clear bag so if I get stopped by the police they can see there is nothing but feces in my bag, lol.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

It's always a good idea to let TSA know about the ostomy before they start any search.

I live near Dulles, and can say it's always a long trip to get through pre-boarding, even if you are ostomy-free. Just allow plenty of time, and you'll be fine.

Xerxes

I have been through that airport (Dulles) and I can say that based on my experience, this is by far the toughest I have encountered for TSA.

X_

Primeboy

I have been through many airports since my ileostomy in 2010 and I have never been questioned about my appliance. I would like to think I have a very innocent face and therefore got passed through without being searched, but I suspect my going through checkpoints at busy times may have helped. I have heard that TSA has a program which pre-checks passengers, particularly on certain airlines. If I traveled more frequently, I would look into it. Still, what annoys me most in all this, however, is the government's absolute compulsion for political correctness over simple effectiveness. Where is Solomon when we need him?

PB
Past Member

Took a trip in May and just voluntarily showed the works on both legs of the trip in order to avoid the ridiculous pat down procedure...but it apparently shows on the scanner thingy cause I was flagged both times.

vikinga

The only thing I have to add to this is that the pat down is no biggie, but don't let your bags (regular) go through before you do! And the TSA card helps somewhat. FYI, they cannot ask to see your ostomy bag. Personally, I don't care. AND, did you know that you are allowed an extra carry-on bag for medical supplies?? I used that allowance.
Being on a train was much more scary for me. Holy cow!! With all that rocking and rolling, I would hate to have to change a bag!! Bad enough to try and empty it...hahaha!
L