Meet and talk to 20,116 OstoMates

Any Natural Tips For Removing Adhesive From The Skin..

Posted by ambies, on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:07 pm
Has anyone come up with any ideas of uesing natural products, if  you have ran out of the adhesive remover.  I had to change  my bag the other day while i was out, and didnt have any  adhesive remover with me,and  consequently had to gradually pull  pouch away from my skin and  it was  so painful, and made my skin bleed....

Reply by Mrs.A, on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm
Hi Ambies,
I am sorry you had such a hard time removing the adhesive from your skin. I carry a small bottle of a 3/4 solution of water and 1/4 vinegar. It seems to work well for me. At home I've thought about making a small jar of baking soda and peroxide paste to see if that works.
Try it at home and see if it works for you. If it does maybe you could keep some in your purse.
Best Wishes,
Alice

Reply by Primeboy, on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm
Hi Ambies. Wow! Your pouch must be attached with Crazy Glue, a powerful adhesive commonly used here in the states to permanently bond wood and metal. I have never used any adhesive remover on my flange which, incidentally, stays firmly attached for 5-6 days. You may want to consider a less harmful product. Anyway, I was taught never to pull the pouch away from the skin. Rather, while holding edge of the flange, I push the skin inward, away from the device, a little bit at a time. This process is patently less traumatic on the skin. Good luck!   PB

Reply by vanessavy, on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 pm
Have you used Mineral Oil? I am not sure if you can for what you need it for but I was using it after I had surgery to remove bandage tape on my abs. Maybe ask your doctor if Mineral Oil is safe.

Reply by panther, on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:27 am
Good question ambies, I've been wondering myself if there was something else we could use doctors in the UK are telling us we can't have adhesive remover on prescrpition. Adhesive remover isn't harmulf to your skin it's the complete oposite some even have moisturiser in them.

Reply by Xerxes, on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:05 pm
Mrs.A,

OUCH! You must go through the ceiling  when you apply a 25% solution of vinegar to your skin especially when your skin is excoriated which often is the case when pulling off the wafer. Your tolerance to pain must be high. But, I am glad it works for you.

X_

Reply by ambies, on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
Hi all thank you for your replies. I dont go anywhere normally without adhesive remover so its not normally a problem,but as i had to change in a public toilet because of a leak i realised and i didnt have any with me.

PB i use Dansac applyiance   it just has a pretty good adherence on the adhesive side ,so showering  or batheing it tends to stick  very well, so i always ues the remover.  The thought of uesing something natural made a good question to ask ,as i have never asked  on a blog befor ..

Mrs A thank you for  your feed back ,it sounds like it could work ,but i would be careful too on any broken skin. The mineral oil sounds a good idea  too  that one i may try as a fall back if and when i may run out  lol   tc  and ty   ambies...

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 am
i use witch hazel for skin care. it also seems to remove adhesive when applied. and might qualify for "a natural"

Reply by ambies, on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:47 pm
Thank you sinful  sounds a good one to try and it certainly comes as a natural, if it works for you then im sure it will be fine for me ..tc ambies ..

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 am
do let me know what you think...

I like how the witch hazel moisturizes without residue

Reply by lineblack, on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:19 pm
I use something like cocoa butter. It takes it off just like mineral oil but its less greasy FOR ME. I can use a baby wipe after to remove residue, then a paper towel and water to be sure everything is off. ALSO when taking my bag off, I use a wet paper towel and go along as I pull my skin back slowly. I am hairy so it helps haha. Most times I can use nothing but a paper towel and water to clean all though

Reply by ambies, on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm
Hi Lineblack  your idea also sounds interesting too  and i will certainly try it ,  also sinful i will let you  know  how i get on .

Thank you all for your feed back  so far they have all been interesting  naturals ..tc all ambies  ..

Reply by Pinky, on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:11 pm
WITCHHAZEL is wonderful and it is a natural product (I think from the yew tree).  I use it to reduce skin irritation and itch.  Also it's very cheap if you buy it someplace like a Target or Wal-Mart (I've found other drug stores to be outrageous in pricing).

Strong adhesives are no joke.  I don't like the adhesive on Convatec wafers because they are so difficult to remove.

Reply by ambies, on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:27 pm
Hi Pinky ty  for taking time out to answer my question,i certainly think im going to be trying most of theses naturals  ,and witchhazel is one of them,it seems  its been around for some time  just goes to show the simplest things turn out the best    tc ambies..

Reply by Bill, on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:28 am
Hello Panther,
I still get adhesive remover and skin barrier spray with my prescription in the UK!  However, I had the feeling that these were being supplied as complimentary items along with wet and dry wipes and disposal bags. They not being charged to the surgery. Perhaps you should make enquiries with your supplier.  I use Charter Healthcare if that helps.
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.