Constipation or Blockage

Replies
Views
trudel
Hey guys and girls, haven't been on the site for ages, but the last couple of days have made me remember how helpful you all were when I first got my colostomy just over 2 years ago.
Wednesday evening started with a painful tummy, took some paracetamol, and went to bed with a hot water bottle. By 4 am, I was woken by a lot more pain. By 6 am, I was calling the emergency paramedic. By now, I was being sick as well. An ambulance was also called, and away I went to the hospital. After getting better pain relief and blood tests and an x-ray, I was admitted to a ward. I read before on the site how painful a blockage can be, but I had not experienced one before, until this day, and now I know how bad it can be.
I now realize how important it is to keep properly hydrated and eat little and often and not skip meals. I think because of this, I was constipated. The whole experience is going to make me a lot more careful in the future, and I'm writing this to try and remind all how easy it is to get caught by being complacent and forgetting that there are some limitations with an ostomy, so let's be careful out there. Oh, and yes, I'm back out of the hospital now. Friday night, tummy is a bit tender, but stoma is working again and behaving.
dixied10

Thanks for that reminder... I had my colostomy in April 2012. I had a lot of problems with leakage, etc. But for the last few months, I have been having a great time, so I know what you mean by getting complacent. Glad you're out of the hospital and doing better!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Trudel! I hope now you are well! I had a blockage a few weeks ago and the pain was terrible. So, as advised by many friends here, we should learn to chew our food very well and drink plenty of fluids.