Hole in Stoma, Need Advice!

Replies
Views
lilcherub

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that has gone through this... A few months ago, I started leaking and air passing through my stoma. After seeing the doctor in December, he was shocked to find this hole - so shocked that he was unsure of how it got there, let alone how to fix it. I have been told my surgery will be anytime but could take until February. I'm a little freaked out but know my doctor will figure it out.

ron in mich

Hi Lil, it sounds like what is called a fistula, which is caused by an infection due to an illness like Crohn's disease. I would do some research before having surgery. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sony34

I am just now learning about this BCIR procedure. Can we chat more about it? I want to see if I should discuss with my doctor... Thanks.

lilcherub

Sure, you can feel free to ask away. I have had mine since 2002 and had a rough time, but the few rough times will never make me regret my choice. I love it and it's so life-changing. As in 97, I had the external ostomy.

TimothyP

I have had my ostomy since the age of 15. I seem to manage okay day to day.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
TimothyP

Look at that, sorry can't even spell. Long day at work in the hospital ER today. Any questions about surgery? Just ask, maybe I can answer them.