Where's the best place for an ostomy?

Replies
Views
SLC utah

I had complications during my first surgery and my stoma was placed higher above my midline. Now that I know a reversal isn't possible, I'm considering having it moved lower. So my question is: where, in your opinion, is the best/most comfortable place to have your ostomy placed? Above the belt? Below the belt? Center? Right?

Any advice or input would be awesome. Thanks.

Primeboy

Hi SLC. You ask a great question, but I suspect there's no single answer we can all agree on. Most of us will never have the opportunity to experience alternative ostomy sites in order to give you an informed recommendation. Good placement of the stoma, however, involves considerations far beyond comfort. Hopefully, your doctor is properly trained in good stoma siting procedures. Check out this user-friendly technical article which will help guide your questioning:

http://www.personal.kent.edu/pxu1/portfolio/ptlog/part2/ASCRS_and_WOCN_Joint_Position_Statement.pdf

Over the past few years I have seen numerous posts about leakage or skin irritation which I believe may have been due to improper stoma placement. That's my opinion, but keep in mind my only credential in this arena is a fairly outdated Boy Scout Merit badge in Medicine.

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I recently had a hernia repaired, my stoma was relocated higher above the belt line. My surgeon insisted on putting it through the "rectus" (not sure if this spelling is correct) muscle in the abdomen. While higher than I like, that placement is much less prone to recurrence of a hernia. I went with his advice.

tllrml2

When they marked me for my stoma, they made me bend, sit, stand, and ask how high I usually wear my pants and questions to that matter to make sure none of them affected my stoma. Even car seat belts don't touch it. I have had people tell me that mine is a little high. Not sure if it is or not, I just know nothing bothers it where it's located.

macsac1

The best place for a stoma is on someone else.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister