Concerns about mucus after RV fistula surgery

Replies
Views
Clover

I developed an RV fistula almost 2 years ago after a hemorrhoid surgery abscessed. After several failed repairs, I had a major gracilis muscle flap inversion surgery to do the repair. This was back in July 2015. My surgeon has done 2 exams and declared it a success. No more fistula! So I'm scheduled for reversal as soon as the surgery wound completely heals. I had my ileo back in March to reduce the possibility of abscesses this time around. But since I've had the ileostomy, I still have some mucus that comes through the rectum from the colon. Before this happens, I get weak and nauseated and a little light-headed. I've learned to sit through that and life goes on, but when I expel the mucus rectally, some mucus comes out vaginally as well. I asked the doctor about it. He's not sure where it comes from but can only say the fistula is not there. I read on another non-ostomy forum that other women have this situation without having an ostomy or fistula. That reassured me a bit, but I'm still wondering if I should ask the doctor about it again before the reversal. Has anyone had this situation before? I also get an air bubble or two occasionally vaginally. Guess I've had enough surgery to be leery of results. Just believing I won't end up where I started, but it might help to know. Hope this isn't too confusing. P.S. I'm postmenopausal, so that doesn't figure into the situation. Thanks for any responses.

Bill

Hello Clover. I cannot help with your question but I thought I'd write to let you know that I hope yor situation is resolved and you have a successful reversal.  Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,691 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hey Clover, sorry that I can't help you with the medical part but, maybe, with getting advice.  Lots of women experienced what you're going through and would be glad to offer their input.  My suggestion is for you to repost using a more specific title.  I would name it RV Fistula and see what happens.

Best of luck to you,

Mike

Clover

Thanks for the wishes, Bill.

Ewesful

I would look further into this -- I know the mucus can come rectally but very rarely. I have had 2 small globs in almost 3 years. As for vaginally, I never had any and I am definitely post-menopause! I would want to be sure there is no possible leakage, no matter how tiny, into the vaginal wall. The rectal mucus is somewhat common according to my surgeon - he said you may or may not experience it and it could be "sort of often or very rarely" so I would suggest that portion to be okay.... good luck

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
KADC2012

Clover,

I know this post is old, but hoping you still track it. I would LOVE some feedback. I am looking at having this surgery, with the gracilis muscle, to correct my rectovaginal fistula. I am having the hardest time finding any information from people who have had the surgery. Could you please share your experience? I know this thread is old, but I am desperate for more information. I am just sick to my stomach about all of this. Before this, I was a perfectly healthy 28-year-old woman. I have one baby, and desperately want to have more, but obviously cannot right now.

I just 3 weeks ago had a failed anal flap repair (My first surgery to try and repair), and now my surgeon here in Alabama wants to do the Gracilis Flap repair with an Ostomy. I am waiting on getting my medical records so I can send them to the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic for second opinions. For those who have had the surgery, do you mind giving me more information, such as

- Was it successful?
- What did recovery look like?

- Are you now able to be intimate with your significant other, and if so, how long after? My husband has been WONDERFUL in dealing with all of this, but I just want to know when we would be able to again?

- Has anyone gone on to have more children?

- Did you have your ostomy reversed?

Thank you so much in advance!