Need advice on irrigating and managing odor with colostomy

Replies
Views
yellowsunshine

So, I have had my colostomy for about 9 months now. I haven't started irrigating yet, but still think I am interested in trying. The main reason is because there is always an odor to me. It is around the wafer... does anyone else experience this? I use the odor drops (m9) and also the Coloplast Brava lubricating, but the odor seems to be around the wafer. It is not terrible, but it is there and it bothers me. I am a little nervous to try irrigation. Also, not sure about the supplies. I ordered the sleeve and tubing with the cone, but my concern is running out of my current supplies while trying to irrigate. I use a 2-piece Coloplast with the adhesive closure, so I am assuming I would have to use a new bag every day... so should I order a two-piece with the capability of snapping the bag back on? I know eventually I will be able to just order the cover (hopefully). Also worried that once you start irrigating, you can't stop. In other words, does your body get used to the enema and then you're constipated if you don't irrigate? If anyone has any friendly advice, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks

Bill

Hello yellowsunshine. Thanks for your post. It is understandable that you might be nervous about trying something new like irrigation but most people who try it never go back to bags because the convenience of not having to tend to the bag during the day far outweighs the inconvenience of irrigation.

There is a useful video on youtube showing precisely how easy it is to irrigate and I would recommend watching it - especially as you say you are a little nervous about the procedure.

I am presuming that you have talked to a professional stoma nurse or consultant about whether you are a suitable candidate for irrigation as ther can be reasons why this is not suitable for everyone.

There have been one or two people who have posted over the years that they couldn't get on with irrigation - but none of them mentioned that they had any problems with constipation when they returned to using bags.

I have been irrigating for years and would recommend it highly for anyone who is suitable. There can be minor problems with it at times but these are nothing in comparison to the potential problems with bags. I use 'plugs' rather than simple covers because I find that they help with my peristomal hernia but like everything else to do with stomas - everyone is different and I would urge you to experiment until you find what is right for 'you'.

I hope this helps you to make up your mind to give irrigation a try.

Best wishes Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

yellowsunshine

I have talked to my ostomy nurse and I am a candidate. Do you irrigate in the morning or evening?

WAB

Hello Yellow Sunshine...........

You can irrigate when you like but it is always better to try and do it at the same time......mine is every 2nd morning before I shower........after breakfast....your body will get used to it and wait for it..........

Bill has mentioned he is not using bags.....but that product is only available in Europe and not in North America................it is a stoma cap........you will need bags......companies make small ones for those who irrigate.......but all bags are not the same.......I tried some..and some fall apart when wet......

I have been irrigating now for 15 years.........and use a 2-piece system with small bags from Hollister..new image...........one thing about Hollister bags...............they have a plastic inner liner and can be rinsed and reused..........they are very strong..........ask them for free samples..............so you can try them out........

Good luck as irrigation will change your life..........and is like not having a stoma that you think about all the time.........as you are in control.........you control your bowel movements.....

There are a lot of people on here who will have some good tips for you...........

chachacha

Hello from lands afar.

I read your post and I thought I would reply. I have been irrigating for a short while, approximately 6 months, and when I was first thinking of trying it, Bill kindly answered my message with great encouragement.

I have found the freedom fantastic... After about a month, I went from irrigating every day to every second day. The removal of a large bag is wonderful. It's not hot and there's no smell, and you can plan things. As with everything, there are always a few issues, but nothing you cannot handle.

Just on your question regarding if you had to stop... I have had to stop my irrigation for about 2 weeks and I did not get constipated. Things went as they were before when you had the bag. I would suggest, and I think this is important especially at the start, that you always have a few bags on hand to use or on the shelf. You see, I ate something that blocked me up and for a few days I had to revert back to the bags as I had to take a laxative. But honestly, as Bill says all the time to people on the site, try to take it all calmly. Irrigation takes a little getting used to and in my opinion, it is not for the faint-hearted when it expels... But I would not change the freedom, the reduced expelling of wind, and no bag to dispose of, no sweaty skin under the bag, and almost no smell. And lastly, as a woman, your clothes fit and sit much, much better.

I wish you well. If I can be of any help, please do ask. Kindest regards and the very, very best with your irrigation ;--))

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello yellowsunshine. I'm glad that you are a candidate - so now you can participate.

I irrigate in the evenings (every evening)because I tried going for two days and it didn't work for me so I felt happier doing it every evening. In my case there is a sudden short burst of output about 2hours after the main irrigation process. If I irrigate in the evening, this happens either before I retire or sometime when I'm asleep so it doesn't embarrass me. I can just imagine what it would be like to irrigate in the mornings and then have this 'aftershock' at some time during the day when I can do without it.  After irrigation I fold up the sleeve in such a way that it is reasonably well sealed and acts like a big bag. So it doesn't matter that I wear it all night. In the morning I can just dispose of it and have a bath with confidence without wearing anything on my stoma. There were a few teething troubles over the years - like some of the sleeves came off for no apparent reason. But I made a gadget for that eventuality and nowadays if I think a sleeve might be coming loose, I will quickly put my gadget on and it both holds the waver in place and guides the output right down into the sleeve where it can do no harm. I should add that I hardly ever have to use this gadget - but it is handy to have on those rare occasions when things don't go quite as planned.

I do hope you give irrigation a go because it will make life so much easier.

Best wishes

Bill. 

yellowsunshine

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I will try to gather everything that is needed and get started right away. I do think I will need more supplies because, as I said, what I currently use are the adhesive bags and if I use a new one every day, it will run out before my insurance will allow me to reorder. Probably the coupling ones would be better? I really appreciate all of the advice!

Immarsh

Hi Yellowsunshine,

My name is Marsha, and I have had my ileostomy for 50+ years, so irrigation has never been an option for me.

But those with colostomies find it extremely helpful in getting back to a "normal" routine.

I read the posts from people who responded, and they have some wonderful suggestions for you.

There are also some good video clips on YouTube that demonstrate (in a hospital) how to irrigate. It's not quite as "medicinal" as all that, but does require preparation. Don't get scared off if you watch it.

My friend (in England) also on this site removes the (Stoma cap) which is similar to a small sealed pouch that we do have here before he irrigates. He then attaches the "sleeve". I think the process takes him about an hour...usually early in the evening (around 7), or earlier if he is going out.

In the video, the person with the colostomy kept a wafer on his skin, irrigates, and then attaches the sleeve to the wafer flange. When the bowel empties, the nurse attaches a small pouch to the same wafer.

It's personal preference on how often you want to / or need to change the wafer on your skin. With an ileostomy, I keep the wafer on for about a week and use the same bag. Yes....I smell it on myself (for 50 years) but friends and relatives who know say that I do not smell! I've chosen to believe them.

I know it's really difficult to change habits.....but giving irrigation a try is a good opportunity to see if it improves your day-to-day life. You have to find what procedures work best for you. Stay in touch.....and ask questions...We're all here to help!

Best regards

Marsha