Bag filling with acid - need advice!

Replies
Views
Staying strong

A couple of weeks ago, my bag started filling with, I'm guessing, acid. I use Hollister supplies, and the acid is so bad that it makes bubbles on my bag. I can start smelling the acid, and I have to change my bag. They are expensive, and it hurts to put one on and turn right around and change it again because of the smell of acid. And then, if I have gas, the acid has thinned the bag so much that you can smell it like I opened my bag. Has anyone experienced this issue? Or even knows if it is acid that would do that?

Mary Ann

You need to call your doctor

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Staying strong

I'm trying to find one! I just recently moved. The first doctor I found was straight up ignorant and just tried to shovel drugs down me that made me even more sick. So I guess my mission now is finding a good doctor.

Immarsh

Hi, my name is Marsha, and I've experienced that strong smell of "acid". It usually happens if I have a blockage, and the fibrous waste can't get through. My stomach and intestine churn, and the only thing coming out is a liquid yellow substance... and sometimes a lot of bubbles. But a liquid bubble output isn't abnormal with an ileostomy. It just indicates to me that I'm not eating correctly, or something I ate didn't agree with me. I gave up drinking milk, and some other milk products a few years ago because they were causing the stomach upsets, loose liquidy output, leading to dehydration. I often didn't know that I was dehydrated... but the smell of the output (very acidic) gave me enough of a clue.

Monitor what you eat, and see if there's a link between that and the acid smells. I found the acid output also ate through my wafer, but not through the pouch. Na'Scent is a really good pouch deodorant... the best of many I tried. I wear my pouch for 7 days, generally speaking, unless I have a leak.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Marsha

SEAN27

Hi Marsha, how are you? I haven't seen you in awhile. I don't really go on this website that much. I'm looking for a nice friend. I'm a great person. Keep in touch.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Staying strong

Hey Marsha, Mary Ann, thank you both for your responses. I am definitely checking with a doctor. I spoke with a nurse today and she said if I couldn't get a referral to a new doctor really soon to just go to the ER. I'm pretty good at eating right when I am able to eat. I've had my bag since shortly after I turned 5. I got sick very quickly and surgery was the only option. Now at 31, I only have approximately 9 feet of small intestines. So everything moves through me nearly as soon as it goes down my throat. Staying hydrated is a constant battle for me. I just don't want to get worse. I've been in the hospital already a lot in the last year and the year before I had 2 tumors removed on top of everything else. I just want to be here for my kiddos.