Daily Appliance Changes: Seeking Advice and Input

Replies
Views
Mggy34

I know a few people personally and a few that I've read on here that change their bag daily. I'm considering it...wondering if it'll help with my skin irritation. (I know some say that will cause more irritation, but it's already pretty messed up.) I currently wear a 2-piece Hollister appliance. The barrier is an extended wear...I'm thinking of changing to the standard wear and just change it everyday with my morning shower.

For anyone who changes their bag daily...I would love some suggestions. And any input from others on this practice!

Thanks!!

Maried

I change my bag every day when I go to work, and you are right, just get standard wear bags. I change in the shower and slowly take off the bag, then wash the area with my Classic Head and Shoulders shampoo. If I see any redness, no matter how small, I apply Butt Paste diaper cream and then Karaya 5 Hollister powder, and so far it clears up pretty quickly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aprangn

I use Ivory Soap (no moisturizer or scent) to wash my stoma and area around the stoma when changing the appliance. I don't use the "Barrier Skin Removal" as I just remove it (scratch it off gently with fingernails) with the warm shower water and Ivory Soap. I do apply 2-4 packs of "Barrier Skin Protector" which makes it easy to replace the appliance when on the go. Of course, I clean the area and stoma with flushable wipes (apply two more skin barrier protection) then reapply the appliance. Haven't had any skin issues. Just saying.....

Penguins7

Hi Mggy34, I have changed my bag every day for several years and just use the standard wear wafers. I exercise daily and the sweat under the wafer is not healthy for the skin. My doctor wrote an everyday change necessity and my medical insurance company approved it for 30 per month. As the wafer starts to erode around the stoma, that is where the skin damage begins from the acid in output. My theory is that changing every day protects the skin and it also allows a few minutes for the skin around the stoma to get some air and be properly cleaned. I only use water to wash around the stoma as I don't want the soap to irritate the skin or lessen the adhesion of the wafer. Some say removing the wafer every day can cause skin problems too. I use the Coloplast 2 piece 11124 pouch and 10011 wafer. I know a lot of people rinse the bag out when emptying, but I find the water erodes the wafer around the stoma area and can cause skin issues. I also use a few drops of baby oil in the pouch after each dump to lubricate (good lubricant and deodorizer and a lot cheaper than the Coloplast deodorant). I hope this helps. Good luck. Penguins7

Mggy34

What is Karaya 5 Hollister powder? And how does the butt paste not interfere with the water sticking??

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mggy34

I had no idea about the insurance thing! That is so helpful!!! My ostomy nurse would definitely help me out with that! Thank you!! 

looking forward

Hi, I have an ileostomy and I have a two-piece system. Anyway, if I put my bag on well, it lasts up to a week. Today is day 5, so I will change it tomorrow. I don't know why you change every day. Also, it saves me lots of money because I can go longer than the three months. My bag is just a regular one. I do go to the gym for an hour but have not gone swimming. Hope this helped you.

Past Member

Have you ever tried different brands? I used Hollister for over a year since it was what they gave me in the hospital. I had a continuous year of leaks and issues. It wasn't until I started experimenting that I realized I needed convex wafers, and ConvaTec brand fits best. I can sometimes make it a week on a wafer now.

On a side note, do you use stoma powder where you have irritation?

xnine

Colostomy or ileostomy? I have a colostomy and use a Hollister 2-piece system. Yes, I change my bag most every day but the wafer stays on most times for 10 days. I use a skin prep and never needed anything more than that. I only wash when the flange is off; otherwise, just wipe with TP.

Mggy34

I don't change every day... I like to see what's going on under there. I'm not sure I ever get a really good seal because I have a lot of loose skin from weight loss and pregnancy and just generally being old and out of shape! Haven't found a barrier yet that really works well and I've tried lots.

Mggy34

Ileo. I can't believe your wafer will stay on 10 days! That is amazing!! 

Mggy34

I have tried many different brands. I haven't found one that I love. I had lots of success with my Hollister....then I had another surgery...stoma is larger now and I had to move up a size. Can't seem to get a good fit. I use stoma powder and barrier spray and all that.  

It always feels like it's leaking or seeping...so I'll change it and it isn't really. Maybe I'm just crazy!  

Penguins7

The main decider for me to change would be if I get a burning sensation under the wafer. Then I know there is an issue. Otherwise, leave it alone. In 8 years, I have only had a handful of problems.

Try really pressing hard on the wafer around the stoma when you put on a new wafer. (Use fingers to press it on tight all around). Plus, I push on the ring too. I put a 4x4 gauze pad over the stoma while I press the wafer in case it wants to shoot. Another option is to go to Lowes or Home Depot, and they sell PVC caps that will fit on the inner diameter of your wafer ring. Take a wafer with you to the store so you can make sure it fits. Use this to apply even pressure on the wafer for a great seal when putting on a new wafer. Get one with a cap on the end so if it leaks while applying, it avoids a mess and you can just dump it out and rinse. Good luck. Penguins7

Maried

The powder absorbs moisture, which helps in the bag sticking. It is best to do this the night before or several hours before you leave the house. I press the bag against my stoma area and it sticks even with the Butt Paste. I only use a little and remove any excess cream. I have been working from home these last few months, so I do not change every day, and I notice more redness. I guess I have sensitive skin.

w30bob

Hi Maggie,

There's a lot being discussed here, so let me try to sort some of it. First off, if you have a lot of loose skin around your stoma, you have a different situation than any of us that don't. Meaning what works for us with tighter skin may not help your situation. Barriers and sealing rings can only deal with so much skin movement. If you have more than they can deal with, none of the solutions we're discussing will work in that situation. I Googled "ostomy products for obese patients" - not that you're obese, but because there must be some solutions for those folks that may be applicable to you with your loose skin. There were a number of sites, but I didn't have time to check them out. I'd suggest you see what they have to offer.

I think some are misunderstanding what you mean when you say you change your bag every day. I take that to mean you are changing your barrier every day, not leaving the barrier in place and just changing the bag (with a 2-piece system). As you're reading, everyone's skin is different. Some have skin that will tolerate being covered by a barrier for days, and others have skin that gets irritated very quickly. The hands-down best thing for irritated skin is to leave it exposed to the air so it can heal. But that's difficult to do with an ostomy. Check out www.nu-hope.com for ostomy products that might work in your situation. If you don't see anything obvious on their site, call them. They are very helpful and might be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help you themselves. Let us know how you make out.

Regards,

Bob

xnine

To help the ring stick, I use an empty tape spool as a steam roller. I use the backing from the ring under the roller so it does not pull the ring off. Works for me.

Puppyluv56

I wear my flange for ten days as well. I can wear it longer but shoot for ten days. I forget about it most times but write down the day I change on the box of wafers.  
I use Convatec.  
Pup

Past Member

Hi

I had surgery 10 weeks ago and use a closed, one-piece pouch and change usually twice a day (more during chemo sometimes). I trialed several brands at the beginning and found that the different glues and thickness of the base made a big difference to my skin. Hollister glue seems to stick to me more than some others. I use Coloplast SenSura Mio and find them much better. I also try to shower with no pouch when it's not active, and that helps. Using the adhesive spray to clear any glue residue also works well.
I know I'm a newbie, so early days, but I tried about 6 and some really irritated me straight away. Samples are usually free (in the UK anyway), so worth a try!

Good luck

Christina

dadnabbit

Hi Mggy34,

I have an ileostomy since 2014. I shower daily without my Coloplast SenSura Mio one-piece pre-cut. I use ONLY a barrier wipe to protect the skin around the stoma before applying the bag over the stoma. I press around the stoma to create the necessary seal. I have found that less is more, and changing daily just feels better to me. If any irritation occurs from a leak (which has been rare in the six years so far), I use a wound gel, Anacept from Ancapa Technologies, which is a clear, greaseless gel that I apply around the stoma. I let it absorb for a moment and rub it into the skin before drying it completely with a gauze pad. Then, I apply the barrier wipe, and after that dries, I apply the bag. When I remove the bag before getting in the shower, I just gently pull the top tab away from my skin. I have never had any problems with irritation from the removal process. Good luck with finding the system that works best for you.

Peace

Dadnabbit