How to Manage Orders for Newbies?

Replies
Views
changed life

Had this bag since June 30th, so I'm new to all this. My first question is, how do you deal with the order?

Primeboy

Hi Changed. Welcome to this forum, and thank you for your service. My sense of smell is not very keen so I am not an expert. When I change bags every 3-4 days, I put a shot of Hollister's lubricating deodorant into the bag. This helps a little, but does not last. Some people here have posted comments on certain foods to avoid when smell is an issue. I am not aware of anything I eat that leads to a particularly smelly outcome, but I will always flush the toilet quickly when my business is done to be on the safe side. For the most part, smell is only an issue when you are visiting someone else's home and there's no aerosol nearby. Otherwise, when I use public men's rooms, I have no pity on fellow users. I paid my dues years ago and it's pay-back time now. Here's hoping your membership in MAO will be as beneficial as has been mine. Good luck!

PB

PS: There's a ton of related advice in a previous thread entitled, "Travelling with Friends".

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello changed life. 

Like PB, I don't suffer a lot with problems of smell but I did find some useful stuff  under the headings  Collections -- Odor & Ostomy which can be found at the bottom of the Content box on the left of your screen. There are loads of past posts on this subject in there and I hope you find something that fixes your problem.

Best wishes

Bill

changed life

Thanks PB. I use Hollister's lubricating deodorant and it's good for the first and maybe the second day, but after that it's pretty tough being in the same room with me. Others say they can't smell it but I sure can living right above it.

As for the public restrooms, I guess you get your vengeance when and where you can.

Have a great day and thanks again.

changed life

Thanks, Bill. I'll check that out right now.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mrs.A

Hi Changed,

Do you have a drainable pouch? I rinse my pouch after I empty it and it seems to help a lot. Sometimes I rinse with just plain water, other times I use a bit of liquid soap but be sure not to get it up near the flange as it may make the life of the flange less than normal. If you use a two-piece system, then just change the pouch. If your flange is still holding up, you're good to go. A fresh pouch is always a much better feeling anyway.

Past Member

Changed Life---I have an ileostomy for two years now. I also have an overactive olfactory system so odor REALLY bothers me. I have discovered that using essential oils in the pouch REALLY helps. They are relatively inexpensive and offer such a variety of scents that you can change your scent regularly. I use about 6-8 drops when I use a new pouch, and that seems to last significantly. I generally change daily because I shower without the bag daily and so the effectiveness is relevant, however when I was in the hospital for 6 days the bag was not changed and the oil still seemed very effective. On day four I just added a few more drops. I like the availability of different scents, kinda like perfume or aftershave!!! You can find essential oils online or at many stores, natural, grocery, pharmacy, etc. Good Luck

Peace

Nancy