Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 26-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 51-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female
Meet and talk to 20,082 OstoMates

5 Weeks After Surgery - Loop Ileostomy

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Its been 5 weeks since my surgery.  Things are going ok.  I only had one issue with a bag leak.  But I do have another issue that I'm concerned with.

When I get up in the morning I feel fine, but after moving around for about an hour or so my "stomach" (Under my belly button) starts to swell up and I'm very uncomforable.  Sometimes it swells above my belly button. 

I went to the doctor a week ago and she didn't seem to concerned about it.  Only if it continues after a few more weeks come back to see her. 

Can anyone having had an ileostomy give me any insight about this issue.  Is this normal???

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:27 am

Hello Sis1949.

I believe it is normal (from a medic's perspective)  for these sorts of things to happen after almost any surgery.

Soon after my own surgery, I made the same enquiries to my stoma nurse about the stomach swelling and got the same sort of response.  After a month or so, she suggested a hernia belt and I have been wearing one ever since. I know this post doesn't sound very positive but that was my experience. The swelling settled down but did not go away  and I've learned to live with it.  Every now and then it seems to hurt for no apparent reason and then it all settles down again until the next time - which can be months later.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for your respose Bill.  No that doesn't seem very positive.  The reason I had this surgery was to get rid of the bothersome swelling of my stomach.

I'll wait for awhile but if it keeps up I'll try the belt. 

Thanks Bill!

Sis1949

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.