Concerns about Colostomy Hernia and Stomach Hardness

In this discussion
Replies
Views
becrhomat

I have a colostomy (since May 2016). I was noticing in September that my stomach around my stoma would get hard, I'd feel nauseous at times, have pings of sharp pain on the top or side of my stoma. I was able to see my ET nurse who said I had a hernia. But I don't understand why my stomach gets so rock hard for a few days to a week. When it's "normal" everything's fine but when it's hard I leak every day and have to change everything. I've asked about this in my support group and no one's heard of this before. I'm not sure what to do. My ET nurse said when it's hard it's probably full and just working but I have normal BMs during the time when it's hard. Once to twice a day.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi. I've had my ileostomy since 1985. Never had a problem with the stoma. Sounds like you need to see a GI to find out what's going on. It's not normal, so keep hounding your GI, not a nurse, for answers.

BJ

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
becrhomat

Thanks... My support group said to ask for an ultrasound

NotDeadYet

Sometimes meds can make tummy fat "hard."

"Once or twice a day" isn't much for a colostomy. Work 8 oz of prune juice into your diet and see if that makes a difference.

becrhomat

I'm not on any meds.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello becrhomat.

I don't have a definitive answer to your question and I must admit that when I first started having these sorts of sensations it was a bit worrying. I too have a hernia so some of it might be down to that but over the years I have noticed that the worst of the pain  and hardness is usually about 30 minutes to an hour before I pass wind, so natually, I link the two together and it no longer bothers me.

Irrigation helps a lot both with the wind and the pain, so if you are a candidate I would recommend giving it a go.

Best wishes

Bill 

becrhomat

Mine lasts a few days to a week. During that time, I have BMs and gas like I normally do. I'm so frustrated. I just want to cry all the time. And I have a vocal disorder and can't talk, so I can't just pick up the phone to call someone to help. All I do is clean up after myself, it feels.

Bill

Hello becrhomat.

You may have a vocal disorder which holds you back in that medium of communications. However, you are very talented when it comes to writing so Perhaps you should exploit this talent and communicate with your stoma nurse in the wiritten form to explain not just the physical symptoms but also how it makes you feel.

Having a stoma can be extremely frustrating at times and the more you know about the way it works (and sometimmes doessn't) the easier it seems to be to cope with what it throws at you.

I agree with jconnor about keep hounding the professionals and maybe do this in writing.

Best wishes

Bill

becrhomat

Thank you....my doctor in Toronto is going to email me with an appointment, thank goodness.

Bill

Hello Becrhomat.

It's great that you are going to get an appointment.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

I hope your appointment goes well. That must be difficult at times to only be able to communicate in writing, but it seems nowadays with texting, email, blog writing, it is the most effective and easier way of communicating.

becrhomat

I've finally gotten a diagnosis of abductor spasmodic dysphonia...basically my nerve malfunction. AND I've gotten an appointment in Toronto with my doctor and ET nurse (they sometimes work together). My friend from my support group is going with me for support and to make sure questions get answered!!! Good news bad news situation but I'm feeling positive!!!!

Bill

Hello Becrhomat.

Thanks for letting us know what the diagnosis is as it enabled me to look it up. Fascintating!--and it looks as if their are treatments for it that have some success so that's good news.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Bill

becrhomat

Unfortunately, I've been diagnosed with a rare and incurable voice disorder. Treatment is Botox every 3-4 months.

ChrisP

Re: Your original subject - this is a long shot, but I had those sort of symptoms, and they led to a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis in the area around my stoma. The area around the stoma became hard and swollen for periods of time, I had sharp pains, and a general feeling like I had been punched in the stomach. Does this ring any bells with you, becrhomat?

becrhomat

I just have a twinge of pain sometimes, otherwise it's not painful. It just feels uncomfortable mostly. Got some new pants out of the deal that fit better though lol