Keeping Ostomy Wafers Secure During Workouts

Replies
Views
Hanaleah

What do extremely athletic people do to keep their ostomy wafer on when they are working out?

ycats

Pull your leggings or yoga pants over your appliance. I worked out with a colostomy with no problem at all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ChrisP

I'm the last person to pontificate about working out (I tried it once about 15 years ago!), but I would have thought the most important thing would be to avoid getting a hernia!

I found this site offers helpful advice, although I draw the line at the T-shirts....

http://www.stomaatje.com/index.html

Living in France, the French version helps me with bits of technical vocab you just don't get in the average conversation class! Chris

TomFTW

I think that's a great question! I would also like to know what abdominal exercises are best for those of us with ostomies. I've lost the weight recently, but not the gut!

Oceanblue

I wear a support belt which I purchased through the Ostomy Association in Australia. This is helpful in a gym environment. I agree with ChrisP to avoid straining the abdominal area around the stoma as this can cause a parastomal hernia.

To answer the question about keeping the wafer on during extreme exercise, I haven't had a problem with my Coloplast Alterna base. I go surfing with a very supportive pair of board shorts which put pressure on the wafer. The wafer can last me a few days of surfing etc.

It all depends on how well your base (wafer) fits to your skin.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
chet8625

I have always used a support belt, even when not exercising. But I have run and lifted and never had any issues.

I also use Coloplast's elasticized seals around the disk that give some added support.

Hanaleah

Thank you for replying. I was jogging and wearing my unitards. What brand of appliance do you wear? Yesterday I used from Cymed. They work great. I worked out for 3 hours and it was perfect. If you're into working out, get a sample from them.

Where in New York do you live?

Pray for peace.

AZishome

Before 3-5 hour bike rides, I make sure to put on a new bag and use a healthy amount of waterproof Hy-tape...

adrenalinejunkie

Stealthbelt all the way and Sensura Mio Convex Coloplast bags, works a treat for everything. Never had a problem with them. Wild swimming, gym, climbing, hiking, skating. - Some people are allergic to that appliance though