Bloody stoma: Is bleeding normal?

Replies
Views
dwsmitty

I noticed today that the stoma surface was weeping blood. Not on the peristomal skin but the stoma itself, quite bloody really. I did not think that I touched it or anything. I have read that bleeding is normal but I figured that was regarding the skin around the stoma and not the stoma itself... Any thoughts?

DonBrown1943

The stoma itself is very rich in very small blood vessels very near to the surface. It bleeds easily but that does not always mean that it is injured. If it bleeds a little while you are changing your bag, that is nothing to worry about. However, if it bleeds all the time or if it bleeds a lot for no apparent reason, I would recommend that you see your doctor about that. You may have something else going on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dwsmitty

Thanks Don, that makes me feel better. I have only been onboard this site for a few hours, seems like a good place to be. I really appreciate your insight.

dwsmitty

Thanks Don, that makes me feel better. I have only been onboard this site for a few hours, seems like a good place to be. I really appreciate your insight.

Bill

Hello dwsmitty.

Thanks for posting on this subject as I know a few people get worried when blood appears on their stoma. No matter how much it is said that this bleeding  is 'normal', we cannot help but be concerned about the implications of it. I do a fair bt of experimenting with different things so I expect that sometimes my stoma might get damaged. However, there are times when it bleeds and I've done nothing that I know of to cause it. A few months ago I came across a 'stoma-collar' by Salts healthcare called Dermacol and that is made of a soft rubbery material that sits snuggly around the stoma overnight protecting it fromknocks and abrasions. This seems to have reduced the bleeding to almost nothing so it makes me think that some of the bleeding was caused by the stoma just rubbing up against things whilst I'm asleep and knowing nothing about it.

I would say that although I talk about the stoma 'bleeding' it is not usually flowing with blood as per any other wound, it could more accurately be decribed as 'seeping' blood, sometimes in relatively minute amounts, which support Don's concept of it having many small blodd vessels close to the surface.

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dwsmitty

Indeed, thanks to you and Don for your insight. Certainly, seeping/weeping blood is the accurate description. Good to know that it is disconcerting only. I am scheduled for HIPEC surgery during which they may reconnect me, though the breadth of the surgery/treatment is daunting, the reconnection seems small in the scope of it all. Based on what they find, they may create a different stoma to prevent undue stress on the newly made connection.

Bill

Hello dwsmitty.

Just to say good luck with the surgery.

Best wishes

Bill

NotDeadYet

Dwsmitty-

My stoma is perfectly healthy and weeps blood on and off. No biggie. Please let us know how your surgery goes!

Hearts out to you!

Newbie Dana

Another problem that can cause the stoma to bleed a bit right at the base is a too-tight fit with the faceplate of the appliance. Logic says the closer to the stoma we can get the faceplate, the better, with less leakage. Actually, the stoma nurses will tell you, you should leave a tiny ring of space between the inside edge of the faceplate and the outer ring of the stoma. The reason for this is that normal movement of your body during the day or night will push the edge of the faceplate against the stoma and cause one of those tiny blood vessels in the stoma to break and weep blood. Also, if you have the kind of faceplate you cut to fit the stoma, the edges are just a bit sharp, even if you try to run your finger around the hole to dull the edges. Also, when your stoma is outputting, it expands slightly to allow the material to pass through the stoma. All these things, which are perfectly normal, cause the stoma to rub against the edge of the faceplate and can cause a bit of bleeding. Just make the hole of the faceplate a tiny bit bigger, and you will avoid the issue most of the time.

DonBrown1943

All true and very good points, Newby Dana. That's why I use a little bit of strip to use as a ring between the stoma and the faceplate.

kbd

I cut my wafer about 1/8 of an inch larger than my stoma and use a barrier ring to fill in the difference. This will help prevent your stoma from getting cut or abrasion from the wafer. Stoma bleeding is not unusual. Blood coming through your stoma is something to be wary of, especially if you have Crohn's or UC.