What's your go-to pouch rinsing method?

Replies
Views
drfields24

Hello everyone. You all have been so kind to me, so glad I found this. As I was emptying, I thought, "I wonder what some of you use to rinse your pouch out?" I really am curious about what you are using. Might learn another way. I use a Lipton tea bottle...when I finish drinking a bottle, I rinse it out and use it. Works real well. I have to sit backwards in order to empty...what do you use? Would love to hear your answers.

Past Member

Actually, I don't use anything... I use a reusable pouch that folds up and uses a Velcro-type thing to keep it up. I use the Hollister or the "Sweet'n'Simple" blue stuff for deodorizing. I'm an ileo, though... you didn't mention what kind of pouch you use. Hope it helps, but I'll be listening if anyone else has any suggestions...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

drfields24

I'm sorry... I use Hollister 2-piece drainable bag. I have a permanent colostomy. I change every 3rd day.

Bill

Hello drfields24.

Thank you for your interesting question.

When I first read your post I thought you were asking about the liquid, but upon re-reading it I'm of the opinion you want to know about the container for the liquid. Just in case, I will hedge my bets and answer with both in mind.

Firstly,  I should explain that I irrigate so the 'bag' in question is actually a sleeve. This can be washed out via the tap but, before leaving the loo to do so, I rinse it around using  one of the containers that previously had toilet cleaner in. The reason I like this method is that it has a pinpoint spout which, when the container is squeezed, shoots out a jet of water that can be accurately guided to where I want it to go.It also holds 750ml of water which is enough to do the job. Once all the output is washed away, I then go to the sink and rinse it again.

Now for the liquid I finish off with. Well! this has ranged from deoderant sprays, mint mouthwash, various oils or anything else that is availablefor nothing or cheap to buy,  which smells better than the previous contents of the bag.

When the sleeve is stained, one of the things I found that will clean it and make it smell reasonable is the stuff they steralise babies bottles with. It used to be called 'Milton' but nowadays Sainsbury's do their own cheap version. I also use this to clean and steralise the other equipment I use when it becomes stained.

Best wishes

Bill   

drfields24

Now I heard of mouthwash....does it really work on smell? How much do I put in and which one seems to you work best? I've tried peroxide and it didn't work. Now you said sleeve...So you irrigate? On YouTube I saw how that is done. How long did you have your ostomy before you tried it? I apologize for asking so many questions.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello drfields24.

Pleaase don't apologise for asking questions as this is surely the lifeblood of a site like this.

As I posted last time, I use anything that is to hand to deodorise the sleeve/bag.  The mouthwash is Listerine mint, which is what my wife uses so I will try not to let her see this post!! This works very well and it does have a pleasant smell. I've tried it as a mouthwash and it felt like putting acid in my mouth so I figured that it would probably be put to better use in the 'bag'.

As for irrigation, I wanted to do this from the beginning as I had been anally irrigatiing before the stoma. However, I was advised by the stoma nurse that it was not a wise move to start irrigation much before six weeks post surgery becuase of the damage it 'might' cause. Thus, I started irrigating from the sixth week.

I hope this helps in your deliberations and if you have any more questions I'd be pleased to try and answer them

Best wishes

Bill    

iMacG5

Hey Drfields, you’ll never go wrong following Bill’s advice. Beyond that, you question relevance of mouthwash to eliminating odor. I use a cheap mouthwash diluted about 50% with water for wiping the tailpiece of my Convatec, 2-piece drainable appliance, outside and in. That’s after I dumped in about 8 oz (250 ml) very warm water and squished it around. Now, into the clean pouch, I put about 20 drops of Hollister M9 Odor Eliminator.
Keep experimenting, keep asking questions and continue sharing.
Mike

Mrs.A

I have used an array of things to rinse out my pouch over the years. Mouthwash is one of my go-to items because it is always on hand and I believe it helps kill the germs associated with smells. I usually clean my pouch at home with a small amount of liquid hand soap and rinse it with water. I have a colostomy and don't always watch what I eat, so my output is rarely firm enough to just empty and go. I just feel cleaner if I give it a clean-up between emptying.

drfields24

Thanks for the answers you all gave. I'm definitely going to try the mouthwash.

Immarsh

Hi all,

I have had my ileostomy for over 50 years, and in all that time (even back with the old rubber reusables) I never rinsed out my pouch during the 5-7 days that I wore it. The only exception was if I ate something really "stinky" that left an odor (like fish) or if the output was very thick and wouldn't flow out of the bag. I've used different types of in-pouch deodorants over the years, Banish, and more recently Na'Scent (?) which was excellent. After I finish emptying, I use a rolled-up piece of toilet tissue to wipe out the spout, fold it up, and use the "clip" (not my favorite) to close it. I know it doesn't sound all that "hygienic," but at 15 years old, rinsing out the pouch made no sense to me. It was a replacement for my rectum and colon, and one didn't "wash that out" after using. And so I never did. The perverse child in me continues to this age of 68. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Firefox

I usually carry an empty water bottle and rinse my bag every time I empty it. This is because sometimes my output is a little thick.

Ozzwood

I used to rinse. Now, I use a two-piece closed bag appliance. I use liners now. So when I need to change liners, I pull it out of my closed bag, flush, put in a new liner, and I'm ready to go. Easy peasy.

Immarsh

Hi Dr. Field, I'm Marsha, and I have an ileostomy, but just wanted to assure and encourage you to ask as many questions as you need to, to get the answers you need. Many people on the site irrigate... and if you've seen the YouTube video, you know how that's done. But it's also usual to experiment with what works well for you. After you insert the fluid into the stoma, many people then attach a very long bag (called a sleeve) which has enough room in it to accommodate the liquid waste that will be coming out. There's no worries about staining the bag since you're only using it for the procedure... and not to wear going out! After washing it out with a soap product, you could use one of the ostomy deodorants to further deodorize the sleeve. Be sure to hang it up to dry, ready to use the next time. Just post questions directed at people who irrigate, and you will get plenty of responses.

Best of luck to you. Marsha