Pre-Surgery

Replies
Views
jhudson1963

I would like to know, what were the steps prior to the reversal of colostomy? Did you have to drink a prep drink like the one before a colostomy? I am having an end-to-end surgery, does that require rehab for a certain amount of time? I know my type is considered major surgery, I guess if it were a loop, that is considered minor surgery. Well, any information would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Evelyn

CharK63

Hi Evelyn,

It is the anniversary of the day I came home after reversal surgery so it was a year ago today that I came home without a bag. Whoohoo!!

Pease note: if I can't remember clearly what all I had to do to prepare, it's a sure sign that it wasn't too bad.

I was only on the bag for a total of 9 months. I had a bowel blockage (fortunately??) as opposed to cancer or disease so reversal was always an option for me.

I was in the office complaining when my surgeon said, "Then let's fix it. We're going to anyway and why don't you get laparoscopic surgery this time?"

I had to have a stress test to get clearance from my heart doctor but that was from a problem during initial surgery when I was toxic with complete renal failure. I continue to have those tests periodically.

Then I had to have a colonoscopy which required a prep of liquid diet (nothing but yellow or green fluids)48 hrs prior to test and fasting 24 hrs before, then 6 hrs before I had to drink 8 ozs. of Golitely every half hour til I finished it.

The colonoscopy was from my anus to my stoma then from my stoma to the end of large colon. Of course I was unconscious so that was easy.

I had the regular pre op appt. Where they drew blood to check vitals and informed me how I was required to wash with antibacterial prep wipes before coming in.

Finally, I had to go through same prep with golytely before surgery but additionally 4 hrs before surgery I had to use a bismuth enema (spelling?) which was hard to find. I finally ordered it from Amazon can you believe that?!

The only thing I want to warn you about is that they found that I was active with MRSA at pre op appt. I couldn't get a clear answer what it meant. I had been a MRSA carrier til then since my first surgery and everybody said it was nothing. I got it by virtue of being in hospital.

It took 9 months before my stoma site healed because I couldn't get a diagnoses for soft tissue MRSA infection.My stoma site was draining for 8 months. I had catscan that found a hernia that was repaired. It closed for a couple weeks then opened to size of a quarter with heavy drainage and fever.

A second catscan then test of the fluid draining finally resolved what was the problem. From there it took 3 rx's of bactrim to heal. There is no retest because I will always be able carrier the surgeon said but she's said so many different things I can't keep track. I believe if I had taken an rx of antibiotics prior to surgery I would have been fine. I should have been maintaining a sterile environment for my family but didn't know I needed to.

Lastly, I found that my family considered this to be a minor surgery and I didn't receive any help at home. No home nursing. No rehab. Nothing. I was released from hospital in 5 days and that was one extra day because of heavy bleeding.

The wound care was simple and basic and not very well explained. I had to be able to walk the hallway in the hospital and have a regular bowel movement to be released.

But think about it. The laser surgery didn't work for me (too much scar tissue) so I had complete abdominal surgery. One cut from breastbone to pelvis and one bikini cut all the way across my groin then the stoma site wound. That's serious enough surgery for me.

It isn't routine and it isn't a piece of cake and you can't step back into your life with just a band aide. I chose to let my family go do whatever they needed because convincing them I was disabled was more trouble than doing or not doing for myself.

Good luck, hope I helped.

Charlotte

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.