Post-Ostomy Surgery Depression: Shared Experiences?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic shares experiences and advice on dealing with depression after ostomy surgery.
Mummy bear

Hi, do other people feel depressed after having their ostomy surgery?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Mummy bear,

I think it's natural to feel some sort of depression right after the surgery. Initially, I think it's because you've gone through such a traumatic event. And of course, because you're reliant on this appliance that takes the place of your colon or bladder.

Then, there's the warped body image. Afraid people will shun you after you've had the surgery as you don't feel normal anymore. But the recovery can be long and tedious too.

Some of us handle it much better than others. In my case, I was just happy to be pain and medication-free after the surgery plus I didn't have to run to the bathroom every time I turned around. I was depressed being stuck in the hospital more than anything.

The people here on this site have been through everything. You will find a wealth of knowledge and support here. Maybe it would help if you describe what it is that's making you feel depressed. Someone here I'm sure has been through what you're feeling. And it helps to get it out. Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
iMacG5

Hey Mummy bear, we often tend to diminish the trauma our bodies and minds went through before, during and after the surgery.  It's a big deal and I think we're not told about all the possibilities because the medical folks don't want to scare us any more than we were already.  You'll need to deal with the possibility of anxiety, depression, PTSD and, just by asking about it, you've taken the first step.  Ask lots of questions and share your feelings with us.  I really believe people like Bain and many others will help you way more than drugs or medical folks.  Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Mike

Bill

Hello Mummy bear.

I will not simply repeat the great posts above by Bain and Mike above but confirm that most people will have some sort of emotional reaction to having this type of surgery. Depression is just one of the miriad of emotions that people can experience and it is often preceded by other emotions such as anger, fear, anxiety, resentment, helplessness and hopelessness and many more, which can sometimes merge into depression to make us feel even worse.

Having a trauma such as this can lead to 'reactive depression' which, research indicates should be treated as soon as possible after the event that brought it on as this makes for a better prognosis.

'Indigenous depression' is the more permanent type that we might have as a personality trait. This tends to be more difficult to treat but be aware that post-surgery, reactive depression can add to indigenous depression with devastating effects.

Medics who train and deal in the physical aspects of illness are often not taught even the rudiments of social, emotional and psychological well-being so they are not necessarily the ones to go to for help and support with regard to mental illness such as depression. Even though the after effects of the  operation and the mental trauma are inextricably linked, the treatments are often found in completely different places with different people who have different skill sets.

When and if we cannot work through and control our emotive states by ourselves, it is advisable to seek help from those who know about these things. However beware, because just like on the physical side, there are good and bad practitioners and a whole range in between.

Best wishes

Bill 

xnine

Yes. I think it is common. You are not alone. I got some help, just talking no meds. I am still depressed sometimes but I know what it is and deal with it.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mrs.A

I agree, and think it's "normal" as we have just gone through so much and are unsure of what the follow-up will be. Our minds have many questions and uncertainties that can make us feel off balance and therefore depressed. Take one hour at a time, then one day, then move on when you're comfortable and become strong.

NotDeadYet

Wow, Mummy Bear, oh poo, yes!

You went into surgery and they took away your friggin' natural ability to poo or pee or whatever! Yes, that's depressing!! Totally!

Oh goodness! Our family or spouses try to be kind and understand and then they step out to the bathroom and use it the way we used to. Awwwk!

We have a new normal now. Me and you and Bain and Mike and Bill and everyone else.

And, well, you could still feel depressed, but can we lift you out of that? We have strong shoulders, and they're here for you. You have a team here.