Get Together

Replies
Views
streetrod

Hi Im throwing this out to see how many people would be interested in a Get Together Weekend. I never done anything like this but I am willing to give it a try. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a Get Together Weekend. This would give people a chance to meet the people we talk to. I know I cant make the state to have it in ;fair to everybody but I would like to try. I would also like some feed back if anyone done this and give some pointers. I was also thinking of having a supplier come and bring samples and maybe talk. That would depend on the amout of people we get. Please let me know what you think. This could be a regular meeting every year. Steve

LadyHope

Sounds like a great idea Steve! ;Count me in.... MA is a bit of a drive for me so I would need to plan. What were you thinking? ;If it was going to be a 2-day event, you could have it at a Hotel with outside opportunties . Often, the Hotel would offer a discounted rate for larger groups. I would consider some sort of meal option too. If suppliers were interested in attending, you could charge them a vendor fee of 400 - 500 dollars to set up and display their information. Also, you could arrange a speaker panel....pick a few popular topics and maybe have a WOCN and Doctor present as well. It would be fun. Please keep me posted. I am happy to help too. Another thought....maybe a Hospital or a GI group would be interested in supporting the event. Thanks Steve. I look forward to hearing about further details. Sincerely, LH

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

streetrod

Thanks for the reply and some ;great ;ideas, thats what im looking for ideas like yours to make it very successful. Im ;not planning on havingthe Get Together in Massachusetts want to make it some central located for others. Thanks Again Steve

Past Member

I would be interested.

NJ Bain

Street,

What would be your idea of centrally located?I might consider it.

Bain

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
streetrod

Bain im still thinking of that trying to make it soom what close for everyone

Brown eyed girl

Sounds like fun! I'd consider it.

Ozzwood

I'd love it. I would definitely consider something like this. I think it would be great to have a WOCN nurses to help with wound care or proper stoma care. I totally echo LadyHope's post.

dina

Good idea '.Finally we can meet each other.

Immarsh

Hi, I think it 's a great idea as well.NYC would be an ideal North east location....but it way to expensive, and parking is always an issue.So it might be a good idea to conside Central NJ ( not because I live here) but because it's central to about 4hours or lessfrom "anywhere",DC. Va, Pa, Delaware,Md, and Mass etc..

It would be more difficult for people further south......so we'd have to decide on a region first.

and a time frame...... Fri - Sun? 2 night/ 3 day We could ask for some help from Regional Ostomy associations, in the NJ/ Pa/ NY area. Don't mean to leave Mass. out of itStreetrod....It's a great idea.

Let's designate one person to get responses......and pick a time frame...( Perhaps Oct. before it snows).

Marsha

streetrod

Hi To keep everyone updated I have3 16 people interested in going to the Get Together "Lets Have Fun" Gathering. Im now looking at what state I want to have it in and be fair to everyone traveling. I will pick a few and we can talk about it. When we pic a state to have it in I hope someone in the area can help me find a good hotel. Ill Keep In Touch Steve Keep sending me more ideas because this is your functuion too.

NotDeadYet

Streetrod! Yay! Party planning!

Goat people (oh I guess that sounds like a really wierd tribe or something, sorry!) BUT people who raise goats are used to dealing with minority gatherings with a precarious (goat-like) attendance. So, Here's the scoop from my goaty perspective:

Feel out your Audience as you have been doing.

Pick a venue that is easy to reach, and does not conflict with weather and/or holiday plans. Michigan in the Winter is out. Texas in the summer is out. Montana is pretty hard to get to, Detroit is not. But then people aren't scrambling to get to Detroit. . .

I think a main question would be. . .what would STOP people from coming?For me, Children-based holidays are out. So are Fathers Day and Mothers Day.

Here, I do an annual endangered Goat Party (bit more specific than that but there we go) every third weekend in October. I think, if you feel that you have attendees that WILL attend, Pick a day that is reputably sunny in your party region, and start there.

You gotta have fun with it. You CANNOT lose your shirt on it (so make it a potluck! Or charge a small admission!). I LIKE the idea of charging vendors, but start small, maybe the first time is free? Until you truly guage response.

Personally, I would try to come, but it all depends on when and where and health etc (I'm a cancer girl).

From here on in, "if you build it they will come."

Feel everyone out a little, then Set a date (in 2018). Set a place. THEN see who's coming.

My annual goat parties are at my small house. We have seperate guest quarters, and available tent, and nearby B B places. I offer BBQ chicken and salad and bread and MAYBE another dish but the rest is potluck. I get goat friends coming in from VA, WV, MD, NC, MN, and then also from SC, NY, OH, and PA. And they come for the company. They KNOW that I'll be doing BBQ chicken and salad AGAIN. They're all here for the OTHER PEOPLE who come. And the other people are just other goat breeders with whom they can relate. So. . .you can do the same.

Throw out a few times, see who grabs what, choose a day that's guaranteed to be sunny, and GO FOR IT!

Can't wait!

Past Member

Interested, count me in.

LadyHope

Hi StreedRod, Count me in....looking forward to hearing about the details.

MarkD

If I'm not too late, count me in!

SURVIVOR#15

Count me in !! I would Love to sit down and meet everybody. Sounds like a GREAT TIME and a GREAT IDEA :)

streetrod

Ill keep you posted

LadyHope

Hi Streetrod, I was just thinking about your event. Any updates? ;Just an FYI... the Dulles/VA regional conference is scheduled for May 2018.... maybe you could piggy back on that event or better yet, have something late summer early Fall 2018. Just a thought. Take care. Have a nice weekend. LH

streetrod

what is the name of that conference

streetrod

I put out a post telling everyone about it hopefully we can get them to go. I be interested in going.

Cplumber
Mybe the Meet an Ostomate people want to host an event at the conference in May
streetrod

sounds interesting lets get some ideas from people and see what we come up with. But That conference looks good to me.

LadyHope

I believe that it is the Regional Dulles, VA/Washington, DC conference. It is listed on the www.ostomy.org ;webpage. Have a nice day. Sincerely, LH

Past Member

Please keep me up to date with the info on this. I would love to get to visit with others who are facing the same challenges I am.