Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,594 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,594 OstoMates.

Colostomy Reversal After Sigmoid Colon Removal

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 pm

hi guys

i am new to this as just recently got out of the hospital after over a months stay.  I had a hysterectomy and the surgeon punctured my jejunum.  I had my sigmoid colon removed as it was destroyed while sitting in half a gallon of sepsis.  Also removed was a portion of the jejunum. 

Is there anyone out there with experience in a reversal with these pieces missing?  The doctor said I needed to wait at least 6 months for a reversal 

thank you!

jen

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi Jen,

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to say Welcome To M.A.O. Someone with more information will be along soon and give you some advice.

Advertisement
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Wonderful! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Wow  you have been thru a lot. I did a bout with Sepsis, keep up the good work. This is a good place to find Answers.   Good luck I will be praying for you.

Chris

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Jenerprise, Welcome to MAO!  I am sorry to hear about your surgery and the setbacks.  You came to the right place to find answers about life with an ostomy, even if it is just a temporary ostomy.  I don't know much about your two resections and how a reversal will adapt but MAO is a great place to connect and gather much information.  In addition, if you have a repeat post from me, I apologize..... when I posted my orginal welcome message, it did not post and I thought that it erased.... technology always confuses me.  Anyway, good luck to you and keep posting.  We are here to help. Sincerely, LadyHope

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi, Jenerprise. My colostomy was a surprise also. My colon ruptured but was not diagnosed properly. After 10 days they had no choice but to remove 18 inches of my colon and give me a colostomy. I was unconscious for six weeks while being treated for septicemia. It took 3 months to heal. I had begun to treat the colostomy as permanent when my surgeon told me I was ready to be reconnected. That surgery was done in September. I had no problems with the reconnection or getting my bowels to start working normally, but I acquired a mrsa (penicillin-resistant staph infection) during the surgery. That is a very serious thing and I am still weak while recovering from that. I am receiving physical therapy and a home healthcare nurse visit every week. To complicate matters, I suffered a heart attack during the colostomy surgery last year and can't proceed physically at my previous rate of PT. I am being evaluated for a pacemaker, probably to be installed in November. But I am old and expected to have problems. It should be much easier for you, since you have already gone through the hard part. Keep us informed.  Don.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.