Reversal after sigmoid colon removal: Advice on missing jejunum?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Jenerprise

Hi guys

I am new to this as I just recently got out of the hospital after over a month's stay. I had a hysterectomy and the surgeon punctured my jejunum. I had my sigmoid colon removed as it was destroyed while sitting in half a gallon of sepsis. Also removed was a portion of the jejunum.

Is there anyone out there with experience in a reversal with these pieces missing? The doctor said I needed to wait at least 6 months for a reversal.

Thank you!

Jen

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Jen,

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to say welcome to M.A.O. Someone with more information will be along soon and give you some advice.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jenerprise

Wonderful! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Cplumber

Wow; you have been through a lot. I did a bout with sepsis, keep up the good work. This is a good place to find answers. Good luck, I will be praying for you.

Chris

LadyHope

Hi Jenerprise, welcome to MAO! I am sorry to hear about your surgery and the setbacks. You came to the right place to find answers about life with an ostomy, even if it is just a temporary ostomy. I don't know much about your two resections and how a reversal will adapt, but MAO is a great place to connect and gather much information. In addition, if you have a repeat post from me, I apologize... when I posted my original welcome message, it did not post and I thought that it erased... technology always confuses me. Anyway, good luck to you and keep posting. We are here to help. Sincerely, LadyHope

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
DonBrown1943

Hi, Jenerprise. My colostomy was a surprise also. My colon ruptured but was not diagnosed properly. After 10 days, they had no choice but to remove 18 inches of my colon and give me a colostomy. I was unconscious for six weeks while being treated for septicemia. It took 3 months to heal. I had begun to treat the colostomy as permanent when my surgeon told me I was ready to be reconnected. That surgery was done in September. I had no problems with the reconnection or getting my bowels to start working normally, but I acquired a MRSA (penicillin-resistant staph infection) during the surgery. That is a very serious thing, and I am still weak while recovering from that. I am receiving physical therapy and a home healthcare nurse visit every week. To complicate matters, I suffered a heart attack during the colostomy surgery last year and can't proceed physically at my previous rate of PT. I am being evaluated for a pacemaker, probably to be installed in November. But I am old and expected to have problems. It should be much easier for you since you have already gone through the hard part. Keep us informed. Don.