Fear of Bag Leaks: Coping Strategies?

Replies
Views
HeyHey

I was waking up every two hours to empty the bag and worried about leaks. Lack of sleep is a health hazard in many ways. Sleep is necessary and important.

One of my doctors came up with a solution for me. I use a two-piece bag. During the day, I use the regular-sized bag. At night, so I can sleep, I use the extra-large, high-output, urostomy bag. Your doctor can justify this for insurance purposes based on health risks from lack of sleep, the risk of depression, danger while driving sleep deprived, etc.

At this point, it only leaks when I go one day too long before changing it :) And then, I usually catch it before it is too messy and change it.

Over time, you will also develop a sense during the night for when you need to wake up and empty the bag. In the meantime, if you are concerned, when you go to bed, put a piece of paper towel around the area where it usually leaks to absorb it and prevent messes.

When I get worried during sleep, I put my finger on the skin barrier. If it is wet, I'll open my eyes and check it out. If dry, I keep sleeping. I'll also feel the bag to check how full it is. If very full or gassy, I will get up to empty it and go back to sleep.

I experimented a long time to find a system that works well for me. Each company will send 3-4 days of samples and complete sets of changes.

In my experience, some of the skin barrier flanges are so narrow, they do not hold at night while you are horizontal and the stool cannot as easily flow downward. I have found using a system with a wider flange helps enormously to prevent leaks. I use Convatec, Sur-fit Natura, Moldable, convex. Good luck, dear.

freedancer

Trust me...it gets better as you go along. I suffered with horrendous anxiety for the first few months. Luckily, I have a great VA doctor and we found a medication that helps. This has subsided greatly. I was worried about my bag too. I felt like I smelled and worried about going out in public but I learned that people really didn't notice at all. I also spritz a little nice smelling body spray on the cloth side of the bag and that helps a lot. You will get used to things as you go along. Don't suffer not sleeping. It is important to get enough sleep so you can heal both physically and mentally. Speak with your doctor about this. I use a medication called Remelaton. It acts much like melatonin. It has helped me a great deal with my insomnia after my emergency surgery. I still have some sleep issues but it is a lot better than it was. Good luck to you!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ReddogUSA

I too have a hard time sleeping all night, but I find myself checking my bag throughout the night and have had to empty it at times, especially if I ate dinner late or drank too many liquids. It was really bad at first, but with time and learning some good advice on here, you will worry less and get better sleep.