ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - Less Effort More Ease
Meet and talk to 18,862 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 18,862 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

ostomy reversal

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi all - five months ago I had to have an emergency colostomy due to diverticulitis and then developed an abcess in my leg which meant another surgery the next day.  I was septic and the doctors told my husband and son " to prepare themselves"  I was in the hospital for l3 days and during that time was unconsious for about  a week.  Obviously the very worst thing that has even happened to me.  The doctor also told me later it was the worse case of diverticulitis he  has ever seen.  He said the reversal would be very complicated due to the amount of colon he  had to take out and because of all of the scarring in me.  He has referred me to a colon/rectal guy who lI see in a month.  Quite frankly I am terrified to go back into the hospital and  have surgery and maybe come out as I went in or worse.  Has anyone had a similiar situation.  Thank you so much!

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:19 am

Hello myhorsemax.

I have just replied to a similar post and my answer would be much the same. It's all a very personal choice. When I had to make that decision as to whether to have a reversal of stick with the stoma, I weighed up whether a reversal would 'cure' the original complaint. I concluded that it would not and therefore I would revert back to my original condition. I would rather have th stoma! so the decision was obvious to me. 

Best wishes in your deliberations.

Bill

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 am

In your situation it is very different, I had my reversal in 2012, mine was due to cancer and they removed almost all my rectum and 7" of my sigmoid colon. Honestly sometimes the bag seems nicer but that's only on my bad days. Either way you have to weigh out the pros and cons and make it a personal decision....after that you can make it work...I think we all have...no matter how hard it is at times...and with whatever decision you make...blessings and best wishes!!

Nora

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you Nora

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Thank you Nora

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi Bill and thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure I understood though did you mean that if you had a reversal there might be the chance of having whatever problem you had.  Do you mean more surgery after reversal?  Thanks  Cindy

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 am

Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I understand from this site that either fellow jpouchers love their jpouch or who have severe problems. Unfortunately, my experience has been a nightmare. I am 48 years old and I had my entire colon removed and wore a temporary iliostomy for 3 months before having my jpouch created. I now have chronic intestinal Pseudo Obstruction. That disorder  means I feel like I have a blockage all the time. For anyone who has had a blockage, you will understand how painful they are and that’s what I live with daily. My Colon and Rectal surgeon will not perform the surgery to have my jpouch taken wdown and going back to a permanent end iliostomy. I have been in contact with The Cleveland Clinic and they have awesome surgeons who will operate on me so I can go back to a permanent iliostomy. Has anyone had a failed jpouch and did you go back to a permanent end iliostomy and if so, do you feel better after going back to 

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 am
myhorsemax wrote:

Hi Bill and thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure I understood though did you mean that if you had a reversal there might be the chance of having whatever problem you had.  Do you mean more surgery after reversal?  Thanks  Cindy

Hello myhorsemax.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear enough in my reply. I had a prolapsed anus which necessitated a stoma. I had a few surgical procedures to try to rectify the problem - without success Hence the stoma. Reconnnection would not resolve the prolapse problem so I could see no point in going down that route, even though it had been suggested I could have it done. I still suffer a little with the anus problem but nowhere near that which I would have suffered with faeces passing through it daily. They have also offered to remove the anus altogether but I've declined that as well because the pain and suffering does not warrant further surgery at present. However, it is always comforting to know that the offer is there if I change my mind.

Best wishes

Bill 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.