Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 57-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 55-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,076 OstoMates

Hi From New Ileostomate!

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 pm
Here I am with my new (Dec 15th 2009) permanent (with rectal stump) ileostomy. So happy to have found this group of people. So much information and positive help.

Have just completed my profile -- so won't duplicate it here -- hope you have a look.

So far, I'm coping well with this life change. I don't think the bag/appliance will be a major issue for me (but none of my pants 'work' ... excuse to shop when I'm feeling stronger)

What is getting me down? Than darned anal discharge and the feeling of 'having to go'! I know that with some people it's an ongoing thing ... I'm hoping it settles down. Had to wear pads for years with my Ulcerative Colitis and was assuming that at least that would be a thing of the past. No such luck. Oh well, I do have a big stock of pads that need to be used.

Anxious to hear about travelling with an ostomy (especially in non-metropolitan areas, small towns, places that don't have pharmacies, etc. minutes away). And snorkeling .... I love it and am a bit concerned about being in the water for over an hour at a time. Snorkelers out there ... drop me a line!

Thanks and talk to you soon.
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:19 pm
Hi Beatrice and welcome to the site. Can't give you any info on snorkelling, but don't see why it should be an issue once you've settled down with a bag and routine that suits and you don't have leaks etc... As you've probably gathered many of us are still having the 'mucous' thing which ain't too pleasant, but I suspect from what you have said in your profile, life will be an easier path for you once you have got your strength back.  You have probably also noticed that you can ask anything here and will get a lot of advice from those of us who 'know', though we are all generally a bit 'mad'. (it helps!)

Love the Chow! Take care, Rachel x
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:51 pm
Hello Beatrice
Welcome to the exciting and and outragious world of us ostomates. I too have an Ileostomy after crohns disease destroyed my bowel. I had my rectum removed about 3+ years ago after having a reversal done and the crohns was active in the rectul stump. So travelling with an Ileostomy. I have just given up being an interstate truck driver so travel whether urban or country is no big issue. Just get in touch with ostomy suppliers and get a sample or 2 and they will send you a bag to carry your supplies. You can fit 10 bags, 2 wafers and your paste and wipes easily. Also always have with you some of those baby wipes. Easiest way of toileting without having to go into those stinky public loos is to swap your bag and use the wipes to clean the insiide of the flange and stick another bag on. Takes 5 miubnutes and ya done. Good luck with your new friend and we here are always willing to give advice, moral support and hold you up emotionally. And I will always make lewd sick and sometimes inane comments abouts my sword and watchin the ladies butts, You will get to know some excellent people here.

Best wishes
Steve
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:57 pm
Hi B!!!
Steve & Rachel said it best!!
I haven't had my colostomy that long at all, just since October. I have learned so much from the wonderful people on this site & I am sure you will too.
I have a friend that has an ileostomy and he is a huge surfer & SCUBA diver. He does it all the time with his bag.
I hope everything is going well with you..and don't mind Steve and his swashbuckling & flinging about of his sword!! Wear a helmet, it makes the hits to the noggin easier to take.
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:32 pm
Hello & welcome , Being a urostomate I have  slightly different issues ( Oh No Puns) There are a lot of good people on here who are better at advice & support than me. However we are all  " Baggies in Arms"---You can allways find a sympathetic ear on this site.Post often we dont bite......
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:44 pm

vulcanBMk2 wrote:
Hello & welcome , Being a urostomate I have  slightly different issues ( Oh No Puns) There are a lot of good people on here who are better at advice & support than me. However we are all  " Baggies in Arms"---You can allways find a sympathetic ear on this site.Post often we dont bite......

Issues?????? do tell lmao
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 pm
...and some of us got so many issues, we need a magazine rack!!!!  
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm
Thanks for the welcome! I can tell I'm going to like it here .
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:13 pm
Welcome Beatrice, from another ileostomate.  I "earned" mine because of diverticulosis when my colon decided to pop and spill.  We really are a friendly group and one or two of us are downright crazy.  No names mentioned, you'll figure it out for yourself.
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm
..heheheheeeeeee
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:06 am
Which one or 2 would that be Mary
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am
welcome Bea!  I have a ileo, change you ileo before you get in water, you should be ok for an hour or 2, also try rings if not using they repel water better than paste, I get in the pool with the kids and take hot tub baths without any problems tho I don't swim.  I don't have any part of my rectum left so can't help you with those questions.

Have fun
eddie
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 am
Thanks Eddie,

I'm going to try to find some sort of waterproof contraption to put over (or around my body and over) the appliance. I may not really need it, but I'll feel more comfortable - at least for the first few times.
When hubby and I get into the ocean and finall get to the good snorkelling areas (I'm not a great swimmer) ... we're probably in the water for close to 2 hours.
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:34 pm
I have been to Mexico snorkling for up to 3 hours with no problem ... use our hot tub regularly although usually a little less than an hour and every weekend we're at a hotsprings and i spend 4 or 5 hours in the water without problems. I use Holister new image
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:38 pm
So glad to read your reply! I use the Convatec 2-piece system (looks very similar to the Hollister) and haven't experienced any leaks (just the trace leak from the filter sometimes) so am hopeful all will be ok in the water.

Once I get the ok from my surgeon (hopefully at the end of the week) I'm off to the pool to see how it goes. There is a hot-tub there too, so will pop in for a bit.

Off-topic: We haven't been to Mexico (all our snorkelling so far is in Hawaii). What areas are good for snorkelling? There are good prices for Canada/Mexico flights or all-inclusives ... I think we're due for a little holiday.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.