Hi from new ileostomate!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
beatrice
Here I am with my new (Dec 15th, 2009) permanent (with rectal stump) ileostomy. So happy to have found this group of people. So much information and positive help.

Have just completed my profile -- so won't duplicate it here -- hope you have a look.

So far, I'm coping well with this life change. I don't think the bag/appliance will be a major issue for me (but none of my pants 'work' ... excuse to shop when I'm feeling stronger)

What is getting me down? That darned anal discharge and the feeling of 'having to go'! I know that with some people it's an ongoing thing ... I'm hoping it settles down. Had to wear pads for years with my Ulcerative Colitis and was assuming that at least that would be a thing of the past. No such luck. Oh well, I do have a big stock of pads that need to be used.

Anxious to hear about traveling with an ostomy (especially in non-metropolitan areas, small towns, places that don't have pharmacies, etc. minutes away). And snorkeling .... I love it and am a bit concerned about being in the water for over an hour at a time. Snorkelers out there ... drop me a line!

Thanks and talk to you soon.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady
Hi Beatrice and welcome to the site. Can't give you any info on snorkeling, but don't see why it should be an issue once you've settled down with a bag and routine that suits and you don't have leaks etc... As you've probably gathered, many of us are still having the 'mucus' thing which ain't too pleasant, but I suspect from what you have said in your profile, life will be an easier path for you once you have got your strength back. You have probably also noticed that you can ask anything here and will get a lot of advice from those of us who 'know', though we are all generally a bit 'mad'. (It helps!)

Love the Chow! Take care, Rachel x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gus
Hello Beatrice,
Welcome to the exciting and outrageous world of us ostomates. I too have an ileostomy after Crohn's disease destroyed my bowel. I had my rectum removed about 3+ years ago after having a reversal done and the Crohn's was active in the rectal stump. So traveling with an ileostomy. I have just given up being an interstate truck driver, so travel, whether urban or country, is no big issue. Just get in touch with ostomy suppliers and get a sample or two, and they will send you a bag to carry your supplies. You can fit 10 bags, 2 wafers, and your paste and wipes easily. Also, always have with you some of those baby wipes. The easiest way of toileting without having to go into those stinky public loos is to swap your bag and use the wipes to clean the inside of the flange and stick another bag on. Takes 5 minutes and you're done. Good luck with your new friend, and we here are always willing to give advice, moral support, and hold you up emotionally. And I will always make lewd, sick, and sometimes inane comments about my sword and watching the ladies' butts. You will get to know some excellent people here.

Best wishes,
Steve
Txgirl
Hi B!!!
Steve Rachel said it best!!
I haven't had my colostomy that long at all, just since October. I have learned so much from the wonderful people on this site and I am sure you will too.
I have a friend that has an ileostomy and he is a huge surfer and SCUBA diver. He does it all the time with his bag.
I hope everything is going well with you..and don't mind Steve and his swashbuckling and flinging about of his sword!! Wear a helmet, it makes the hits to the noggin easier to take.
vulcanBMk2

Hello, welcome. Being a urostomate, I have slightly different issues (Oh no puns). There are a lot of good people on here who are better at advice and support than me. However, we are all "Baggies in Arms"---you can always find a sympathetic ear on this site. Post often, we don't bite...

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Gus

Issues? Do tell lmao
Txgirl
...And some of us have so many issues, we need a magazine rack!!!!
beatrice

Thanks for the welcome! I can tell I'm going to like it here.

Maryallison

Welcome Beatrice, from another ileostomate. I "earned" mine because of diverticulosis when my colon decided to pop and spill. We really are a friendly group and one or two of us are downright crazy. No names mentioned, you'll figure it out for yourself.

Txgirl

Heheheheeeeeee

Gus

Which one or two would that be, Mary?

eddie

Welcome Bea! I have an ileostomy, change your ileostomy before you get in water, you should be okay for an hour or two. Also, try rings if not using them, they repel water better than paste. I get in the pool with the kids and take hot tub baths without any problems, though I don't swim. I don't have any part of my rectum left, so I can't help you with those questions.

Have fun!

Eddie

beatrice

Thanks Eddie,

I'm going to try to find some sort of waterproof contraption to put over (or around my body and over) the appliance. I may not really need it, but I'll feel more comfortable - at least for the first few times.
When hubby and I get into the ocean and finally get to the good snorkeling areas (I'm not a great swimmer) ... we're probably in the water for close to 2 hours.

nakedinthesunt

I have been to Mexico snorkeling for up to 3 hours with no problem ... use our hot tub regularly, although usually for a little less than an hour, and every weekend we're at a hot springs and I spend 4 or 5 hours in the water without problems. I use Hollister's new image.

beatrice

So glad to read your reply! I use the Convatec 2-piece system (looks very similar to the Hollister) and haven't experienced any leaks (just the trace leak from the filter sometimes) so am hopeful all will be ok in the water.

Once I get the OK from my surgeon (hopefully at the end of the week) I'm off to the pool to see how it goes. There is a hot tub there too, so will pop in for a bit.

Off-topic: We haven't been to Mexico (all our snorkeling so far is in Hawaii). What areas are good for snorkeling? There are good prices for Canada/Mexico flights or all-inclusives ... I think we're due for a little holiday.