Post-op question related to UC

Replies
Views
Rozanskyism

Hi! I am 18 days post-op, have had my colon removed for ulcerative colitis. I'm planning on doing a J-Pouch, which for me, will take 3 procedures. After my colectomy, my rectum was left intact for now, but will be removed later. I seem to be having some activity in my rectum despite it not being connected to anything. Does anyone who had or has UC have any experience with this? There has been discharge and tonight, I think there is bleeding, but nothing like I experienced with UC pre-op.

The support and knowledge here has saved me! I appreciate any help!

Past Member

Man, this is some hard stuff to do with. I'm a volunteer patient. I will see them Wednesday and ask some of the questions I've been listening to, like yours. I had everything removed and still have some moisture, weeping, bleeding spots. It seems once you're in, you've got something to keep your mind off of other things. Hope you do well with your recovery. It seems we all want to hold on to our body parts, but it seems when it comes to the pooper, everything must go before you can be done with everything. Jerz

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sasquatch

That is pretty normal, I still have my rectal stump intact as well. A year and almost a half post-op, and I still pass mucus quite frequently, and sometimes a little blood. What is left of the bottom end of your digestive tract will still produce mucus, and this soon after surgery can still bleed a little. Keep an eye on it, if it becomes overly concerning get in touch with your surgeon. This was one of the factors that played into my decision not to get the J-pouch done. I'm fairly certain I have some active UC in my rectal stump, I'm planning on surgery this fall if at all possible.

Raydog

. I had a sudden ileostomy surgery 2 years ago. In a nutshell, if you still have your rectum and sigmoid, you will produce bacteria, which through time, you will have to expel through a bowel movement. I hope this clears things up a little bit. Have a nice day.

MarVee

Hi Ray,

Like you, I have an active rectum that is attached to nothing and yes, it does produce mucus. I never had the reversal and have lived with this for 12 years with no issues. I have to take a lubricating suppository every other night. This is not an unusual situation and it is not complicated or uncomfortable to deal with. I wish you the best with your upcoming surgeries. You will find a great deal of support from members on this site.

MarVee

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister