Ileostomy take down

Replies
Views
skylar

I will be having an illiestomy take down, what can I expect after surgery

Mari56

I had a lot of inflammation. It took three days for gas to pass. I was in so much pain but it was worth it. You cant even have ice chips until you pass gas. I pray all goes well with a fast recovery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HungryHamster

Hi skylar,

My recovery was extremely painful in the first five days post-op, but I had complications with the anaesthetic where my digestive system was still partially incapacitated, so nothing was actually being digested. I had lots of vomiting and pain, but once that passed my recovery became pretty quick and easy.

I started off going to the toilet 6-8 times per day +1 at night, but my surgeon was pretty surprised at that. He said he expects 10 +1 at night in the beginning. The pouch settles over time and you'll hopefully start going less often. Imodium is a great help and now allows me to not have to go during the night.

Overall, I found the post-op to be very painful for the first few days, but I didn't have the added emotional impact of the new stoma that I wasn't prepared for. The pain was absolutely worth it though. I hope you aren't discouraged by my honesty. I truly hope you have a smooth recovery and that you're digestive system wakes up when it is meant to!

Best of luck! I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick.

Hamish

Past Member
I am more tempted to not have the take down procedure. Too much can go wrong, although I am passing gas from my colon, meaning it wakes up from time to time...lol
Chirag
Hi Mari56...I am Chirag rom india having permanent ilestomy since 2016..Finding soulmate probably like u...I am purely vegetarian..pl do reply..bye thanks

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister