Stoma pointing up and pancaking issues - need advice!

Replies
Views
sazzles

Hi, I was hoping someone could give some advice. My daughter had an end ileostomy a month ago, but is now having problems. Firstly, the stoma opening is pointing upwards, so any waste is getting trapped at the top when it is thick output -- has anyone got any suggestions as to how to point the stoma opening either sideways or downwards? Also, she is having terrible problems with pancaking - could the filters in the bags be making this worse? She is drinking a lot and still not on very many solid foods yet, so that can't be the reason - any ideas please? Thank you.

Sasquatch

The filters in the bags can possibly be doing this. Sometimes they let air out so well that they create a vacuum in the bag. You might try covering the filter with a piece of tape, just make sure that you don't get too much gas build up if you do this. You also, if you're not already doing so, try using a lubricating deodorant. That might help "slide things down" so to speak. Tight clothing over that bag could also cause the pancaking.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sazzles

Hi, thanks for your suggestions - we have tried covering the filter and the lubricant, but unfortunately that hasn't made much difference. Maybe bags without filters could help?

Sasquatch

Might be worth a try. I know my output moves down much better with a little gas in the bag. I just don't like when the gas builds too much, feels like a blimp sticking off of my belly.

Xerxes

As Sasquatch says, a little gas in the bag will help quite a bit. Personally, I never liked the filters for that reason, they let too much gas out. Furthermore, I have found that they can lead to soiled clothing.

X_

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
sazzles

Thank you - I think that might be worth a try.

Soc40

Hello, I had similar issues but eventually I discovered I was using the wrong type of appliance. I use a light convex now which pushes a very flat to my stomach stoma out so it points in the right direction!

Seems to be working well! Good luck, Soc