Recurring hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
BayGal

Hello, just looking for advice or someone to talk to. In March 2017, I had a hernia repair right under my stoma and it came back again, so I had another operation again in June this year. They did a double layer of mesh, but only 3 months after, it has come back again. Now, they are waiting for a year for my insides to heal before they operate again and they will move my stoma to my left side and repair my right side. Would like to know if anyone has been through this and is there any diet plan you have that I can follow to help this hernia. It has come out so much anyone would think I'm pregnant...lol. I am on a little remote island, so we don't have a dietitian, and I really don't want to get depressed again, so I am trying my best to go with it when I have no pain, which is not so often.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello BayGal. Thanks for your post and sorry to hear that you are having these problems with recurring hernias. Here in the UK, there has been quite a bit on the news recently about mesh implants and the problems they can cause. The problems seem to arise from the fact that (in theory) mesh implants seem like a very good idea, but in practice they can cause all sorts of problems further down the line.

As for diets: If you go into 'Premium content collections' /'foods, diet and ostomy' (at the bottom of this page) there are lots of posts and threads on the subject and I hope you can find something that addresses your particular needs.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate