Ostomy and Anal Discharge

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Gemd

Can anyone else sometimes feel when they "go"? Seems like my stoma feels as if it is expanding when I go.

Also, I had some brownish anal discharge, just a little, and it had a poop smell. But that makes no sense as I have no colon, nothing is connected to my anus/rectum, and most of my rectum is removed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi

Yes, can often feel the 'output' from the stoma. Sometimes it feels like 'tickling'.

The brown discharge is lubricating mucus, produced naturally by your body, even if the colon has been disconnected. A stoma nurse pre-warned me of this fact, so that it wouldn't be a nasty surprise when it happened.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gemd

Thanks for the info as I was kind of frightened by the discharge.

Bill

Hello Gemd. The anal discharge is nothing to worry about, It is as CATKIN says, just a build-up of mucus and in the early phases it might be mixed with coagulated blood from the wounds as they heal. This will gradually diminish over time and some people eventaually have very little discharge at all. Not so in my case. The discharge changed from being all sorts of horrible colours to eventually becoming clear and odour-free and I manage this with incontinence pads.

Just one of the many things we need to come to terms with and manage so that we can live our lives to the best of our abilities.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Little Red

I was going to answer this question, but you others have done a wonderful job of it. I had a rectal bleed and had to have a colonoscopy, through my stoma and a rectal check. I was in the hospital for 6 days, (I'm on a blood thinner). The GI doctor found old blood in the rectum but no reason why or where it came from. He explained to me about this happening and said if it continues I may have to have a reversal. I guess time will tell. I have had one small discharge since being home. Very dark in color, quarter size, with no odor. The doctor said to sit on the stool every day and push like you were having a bowel movement (for people that still have a rectum), and this should help. The discharge is a normal thing, unless it is bloody. Then you should have it checked out.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister