Experiences with robotic surgery for rectal cancer?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Share your experiences and insights on undergoing robotic surgery for rectal cancer, and learn from others who have gone through similar procedures.
Jabra0419

Does anyone have had this surgery done? Please let me know about your experience, such as recovery days, healing of your perineal wound, use of the ostomy pouch, etc. Thanks for your replies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Jabra, I had the same surgery, but it wasn't done robotically. I imagine it's pretty much the same though. The frontal incision and the stoma healed up pretty quickly. About a month, I'd say until it was totally healed. However, the bottom incision took about 3 months until everything was good again. I had a lot of fluid leakage around the incision even after the stitches were removed.

The surgical fluid seems to build up after they take the drain out. At least it did with me. Maybe they took the drain out too quickly. I don't know. But it made it painful to sit down for at least 3 months. The fluid eventually went away and then everything was good.

Your ostomy nurses will get you going with the pouches, etc...but there is also a lot of information to be found on this site. I got more info from this site than I did from my ostomy nurses. It's a trial and error thing with the pouches, until you find the exact right one for you. But you will. They tend to give you a kind of basic set up in the hospital to begin with, but there are a lot of different kinds on the market besides what they give you there. You can get all kinds of supplies to test out for free from the various companies who make them. Good luck to you. You'll be okay.

Linda

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Hi Jabra,

I have basically the same experience as WeirdNewLife above. No leakage but did have big bubbles along my incision that had to be popped! Not a big deal. If I had it to do over again, I would have my supplies already in place because Ostomy nurses in my area were of little use! They helped me learn to empty my pouch but there was nothing to empty at that time in the hospital so it was nothing like the real thing! The pouches they use in the hospital are horrible. Convetec one piece. They leak all over the place and life was hell for a while until I found what works for me! Call all the companies and ask for samples of their one piece and two piece pouches. Since you don't know the size of your stoma yet, ask for the cut to fit.

Hermit

Had rectal cancer 4 years ago! Tumor removed! Ileostomy for 8 months! Reconnection failed! Have colostomy for life! Saved my life! Will take up to a year to heal! Good luck! Any questions, let me know!

Puppyluv56

Sorry, this program is not the most user-friendly one! Lol.

You will need to use a medical supply distributor for your supplies once you decide on what you want. Some file to your insurance, so be sure you use them or it will be a nightmare. I use Edgepark and that has been very good. Your Ostomy nurse will give you a list, and you will need to call to set up an account before you order, and they will send you a catalog of all products. You may want to order just one month at a time until you find what works best for you, and then you can order three months' supply at a time.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your surgery! It will be a bit tender for a while, but I think I had more pain from my Hysterectomy! The booty will take a lot longer to feel like it belongs to you! Expect that!

Please ask any questions you may have! We have all been there and are glad to help!

Puppyluv

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jabra0419

Thanks for your reply.

What about your diet after surgery? Was it a low fiber diet?

Did you have problems with urination (incontinence or retention of urine).

Did you undergo chemo after surgery? If you did, how long after the surgery?

Appreciate very much your replies. Merry

Hermit

After the first surgery, I had an ileostomy and had to watch what I ate! Yes, a low fiber diet for a while! No problems with urination or bladder issues! I had a couple of months of chemo before and after surgery! Radiation did not shrink the tumor! I like my colostomy as I can eat anything!

Past Member

Hi again Jabra. It depends on what kind of an ostomy you get as to what your diet should be. I'm assuming you'll have a descending colostomy like I do. If that's the case, after it all heals up and things start working again, you can probably eat anything you want. I was told I could go back to my regular diet, which I did. No problems at all.

looking forward

I also use Edgepark

Puppyluv56

I was not given any dietary restrictions with a colostomy! I did not eat much after surgery and lost a bunch of weight, but it was not long before I was back to normal! As everyone here will tell you, try little amounts of anything you want and see how your new system reacts! Chew, chew, chew! There is nothing that I cannot eat! There are things that cause a lot of gas, such as my favorite bananas, so I only eat them when I know I will be in a place to release that gas frequently! I eat Mexican food a lot with no issues! I was scared about eating prior to surgery because I read the horror stories about blockages and the restricted diet, but my ostomy nurse said differently, so all is good! I love food! Lol

Puppy

Hermit

Walk as much as you can! It will help!

Jabra0419

Thanks so much for your replies. They are all helpful hints.

dls

My cancer was rectal, too. I did not have robotic surgery since I also had a hernia. After my surgery, I was put on a low-residue diet and was 'stepped' up to more foods each time I saw my surgeon post-op. The low residue diet is no fun--but it will give you plenty of time to learn all about your ostomy and how to take care of it. Due to my hernia, I was severely limited in lifting, bending, and certain activities for quite a while, but that should not be an issue for you. Try to get as much info as you can NOW: after surgery, you may not feel like learning a new skill. The more knowledge you have before the surgery, the better prepared you'll be, and less frightened or intimidated. After several weeks, sometimes longer, as everyone has said, you'll be able to eat anything you want, just as you did before your surgery. Take this time to educate yourself, then relax and concentrate on a good result. Let us know, you'll do great, and I'm fascinated by this robotic thing...when you can tell us all about it. Gee, I just got a guy with a knife...

Jabra0419

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know the outcome. It's supposed to be less invasive.

Bill

Thanks for the post. I wasn't fully aware of what robotic surgery was but I googled it  and was fascinated to be enlightened as to the modern advances in medical technology.  It sounds as if you will be fine having it done this way,

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Bill 

Jabra0419

Thanks, Bill.

I will let you know. Thanks for the uplifting words. I need a lot of prayers.

Bill

Hello Jabra. I am not renowned for my prayers, but you will definitely be in my thoughts and I look forward to hearing about a successful outcome.

best wishes Bill 

Hermit

I had the same surgery 4 years ago! You should be fine! I love my colostomy! Walk as soon as possible! Will be waiting on your successful surgery! Steve

Jabra0419

Thanks, Steve, for your encouraging words.

Past Member

My surgery in November 2015 was half and half - the creation of the ostomy itself was done by laparoscopy (with no problems), but everything else was done the old-fashioned way. I have little to add to what has already been said, but my recovery took a LOOOONGG time because of radiation injury. My rectal incision refused to close, so sitting was impossible for a long time, and even now I need a special cushion (called a TUSH CUSH) in order to sit with minimal pain. This is unlikely to happen to you - I don't want to scare you - I was unusual!! Having said that, though, if there are problems with your wound closing, and you have had radiation (you don't say if this surgery is due to cancer) your doctor needs to refer you to Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. My wound remained open for 2 1/2 years - then I finally was referred to HBOT, and my wound became pink and healthy-looking, and finally closed. Again, I don't want to scare you - most people heal much more quickly than I did, and you probably will too. I just wish someone had told me about HBOT long before I eventually found out about it. My healing wound has been so much faster. So I am just giving you the information in case you need it. Hope you don't! Good luck with your surgery - sounds like your medical team knows what they are doing. You are in good hands.

Jabra0419

Hi Padfoot

Thanks for your valuable tip. I had radiation and chemo for 27 days. So hopefully your tip of getting HBOT will come in handy if I'll have a wound healing problem. I'm praying hard that I won't. You are the second ostomate to have this experience.

I'll keep you updated. Need a lot of prayers.

Puppyluv56

Jabra,

I am sure you have had your surgery and are on your way to recovery! Hope everything is going well for you! Hopefully you have gotten lots of samples from the ostomy companies! Once your ostomy starts producing output again, the challenge is to find what works well for you!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take care,

Puppyluv

Jabra0419

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery. So far, my wound is healing nicely with minimal drainage. There's still pain when I sit for a long time. My stoma is still about 1 1/4 inches in diameter, but they said it will shrink in a few weeks. They told me to get used to a one-piece pouch first so I can practice cleaning the skin around the stoma. So far, I'm getting used to these. Thanks for checking with me.