Ileostomy itching near stoma - seeking advice

Replies
Views
looking forward

Recently, I have had itching near the stoma. There is no reason. Nothing is wrong and no leakage. If I put my finger over the bag and near the stoma, I can feel the itch. What to do??

mild_mannered_super_hero

Normally, when the skin under your flange starts to itch, it's a sign that the flange is about to fail. I always marked my wear time on the calendar and changed before I had a failure...normally 4 days. I irrigate nowadays, so I no longer wear a flange, just a patch. Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vdahl

Hi Looking Forward!
I have an ileostomy and truly understand what you're saying. Since the output for us is generally a lot more liquid than with a colostomy (or so I'm told), it's important to strive for the right consistency. I'm more apt to feel the itching when my output is too much liquid. Once I feel the itch, I change it even if I've only had it on for a day. It doesn't mean the seal is about to fail or anything, but it does mean that very acidic liquid is irritating the skin.

Angelicamarie

Looking forward... I too irrigate, however my intestines are unpredictable. When I itch on and around the stoma, I change.
If feces eat through barrier rings, surely it will affect your skin. I change 1 to 2 days, of course everyone's different, for me it's coming
off for hygiene and protection of my skin. Hope this helped!

looking forward

I have nothing wrong with the skin. I think I figured out that I am not drinking enough water. Will try that.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Puppyluv56

I too have a light itch under the flange adhesive. Not bad but I know it is there! Does not last. Maybe it is just from the adhesive pulling on the skin! Who knows!

Puppy

Longroad78

I have an ileostomy and get a light itch that goes away when I change out my gear, but I know that it is not a leak. I work outside and I normally am working when I have to sometimes empty my pouch. Sometimes I have to use a plastic bottle of cool drinking water out of my work cooler to rinse out things, and the cool water does relieve the itch. I do not know if it is an allergic reaction to the adhesive, but the cool water does calm things down.

britathrt60

Sometimes I itch around my stoma...my skin is okay though...I take a Reactine Extra Strength when it happens...stops the itch in no time...Good luck..